Old 06-05-2006, 05:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

Default Using a reel mower

I had my first trial today using a reconditioned reel mower I recently
purchased. I am interested in any tips experienced reel mower user have for
a good cut.

My first attempt was mixed. It took a little while to find a good cutting
height (some areas of the lawn got scalped) and I noted one end of the blade
didn't cut well (blades are sharp however) as it had some stone damage at
some point.

My lawn is also a little undulating so it skipped across several points and
bent the grass flat rather than taking a uniform slice off. The grass was
also damp which may have affected it.

The cut grass, especially clover, however I noticed was more finely sliced
than using a rotary.

ANything I should be doing/not doing?

rob

Old 06-05-2006, 05:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"George.com" wrote:
I had my first trial today using a reconditioned reel mower I recently
purchased. I am interested in any tips experienced reel mower user have
for a good cut.

My first attempt was mixed. It took a little while to find a good cutting
height (some areas of the lawn got scalped) and I noted one end of the
blade didn't cut well (blades are sharp however) as it had some stone
damage at some point.

My lawn is also a little undulating so it skipped across several points
and bent the grass flat rather than taking a uniform slice off. The grass
was also damp which may have affected it.

The cut grass, especially clover, however I noticed was more finely
sliced than using a rotary.

ANything I should be doing/not doing?

rob

What type of grass are you cutting with your reel mower? Those are great
for level bent.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
[...]

fescue n rye turf mix

rob

Old 09-05-2006, 12:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
[...]

That can be cut with a rotary mower, no?

Why do you want to cut it with a reel?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
[...]

I was informed that I would get a better end result with a reel mower, that
it was better for the grass. The last 3 years I have been working toward
getting a lawn that would notionally benefit from a reel mower. I saw one
advertised and followed through on my idle threat. Yes, a rotary does an ok
job.

rob

Old 10-05-2006, 11:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
That can be cut with a rotary mower, no?

Why do you want to cut it with a reel?

I was informed that I would get a better end result with a reel mower,
that it was better for the grass.

I would disagree if you're not running a really nice reel with sharp blades
on a blue/rye/fescue blend. It's best on bent.

YMMV

--
30/GB/Month http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 11-05-2006, 11:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
That can be cut with a rotary mower, no?

Why do you want to cut it with a reel?

I was informed that I would get a better end result with a reel mower,
that it was better for the grass.

I would disagree if you're not running a really nice reel with sharp

blades
on a blue/rye/fescue blend. It's best on bent.

the mower is in good nick and blades are sharp. It was in to the shop a
couple weeks ago and had a good thorough going over. What variety of grass
do you consider is best for a reel mower then?

rob

Old 11-05-2006, 12:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
That can be cut with a rotary mower, no?

Why do you want to cut it with a reel?

I was informed that I would get a better end result with a reel
mower, that it was better for the grass.

I would disagree if you're not running a really nice reel with sharp

blades
on a blue/rye/fescue blend. It's best on bent.

the mower is in good nick and blades are sharp. It was in to the shop a
couple weeks ago and had a good thorough going over. What variety of
grass do you consider is best for a reel mower then?

^^See where it says bent? ^^
Old 12-05-2006, 01:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
That can be cut with a rotary mower, no?

Why do you want to cut it with a reel?

I was informed that I would get a better end result with a reel
mower, that it was better for the grass.

I would disagree if you're not running a really nice reel with sharp

blades
on a blue/rye/fescue blend. It's best on bent.

the mower is in good nick and blades are sharp. It was in to the shop a
couple weeks ago and had a good thorough going over. What variety of
grass do you consider is best for a reel mower then?

^^See where it says bent? ^^

yeah but what, all types, specific varieties do better than other in your
opinion, what?

rob

Old 13-05-2006, 02:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
That can be cut with a rotary mower, no?

Why do you want to cut it with a reel?

I was informed that I would get a better end result with a reel
mower, that it was better for the grass.

I would disagree if you're not running a really nice reel with
sharp
blades
on a blue/rye/fescue blend. It's best on bent.

the mower is in good nick and blades are sharp. It was in to the shop
a couple weeks ago and had a good thorough going over. What variety
of grass do you consider is best for a reel mower then?

^^See where it says bent? ^^

yeah but what, all types, specific varieties do better than other in your
opinion, what?

rob

Time-out.

Are you asking me which bentgrass to plant so that it will match your reel
mower?

You said it was blue/rye you were gonna cut with it, no?

Don't try to re-invent the wheel.

Old 13-05-2006, 02:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

George.com said:

"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
That can be cut with a rotary mower, no?

Why do you want to cut it with a reel?

I was informed that I would get a better end result with a reel
mower, that it was better for the grass.

I would disagree if you're not running a really nice reel with sharp
blades
on a blue/rye/fescue blend. It's best on bent.

the mower is in good nick and blades are sharp. It was in to the shop a
couple weeks ago and had a good thorough going over. What variety of
grass do you consider is best for a reel mower then?

^^See where it says bent? ^^

yeah but what, all types, specific varieties do better than other in your
opinion, what?

Penncross is the most common bent grass for homes, if I'm not mistaken.

Would you really want to have a putting green for a yard, tho? The
maintenence costs would be quite high. You might want to do some serious
research on bents and their upkeep before getting yourself in over your
head.

Just out of curiosity, where are you located?

--
Eggs

Did Washington flash a quarter when asked for ID?
Old 13-05-2006, 10:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
George.com said:

"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
[...]

I am not going to redig up my lawn and plant bent grasses just because of a
new mower. I spent 3 years getting it good. I was curious people mentioning
bent grasses thats all. Not used very much for lawns here in new zealand I
am aware of. Can't say I have actually seen one and not a grass I am too
familiar with. Lawns are most usually turf ryes and fescues of varying
sizes. Brown top used to be popular but has gone out of favour a little as
it did not tolerate summer heats as much as the other 2 I understand. Some
people use bluegrass and couch lawns have become established as people
either choose them (such as coastal areas) or can't be bothered cutting it
out of existng lawns and it takes over. I had couch quite bad in my lawn but
have eliminated the *******. We also have paspalum and crab/goose (? as many
of those ******* grasses look very similair) grasses due to lawn neglect.
Again, something I have all but eliminated. We also get poa grasses
lookalikes.

Every old boy in the 1950s and 60s used a reel mower for his lawn. They took
lawns quite short in those days, much like the haircuts I guess. My
grandfather cut his almost flat lawn with a reel mower. The finer turf
grasses encouraged in NZ home lawns nowadays are best cut, so many many many
people say, with reel mowers rather than rotaries. They give a sharper and
more even cut. Lawn professionals I have spoken to also say reel mowers are
great for home lawns.

I got one to treat my lawn well. The rotary does the job ok, I wanted to
give the grass some pampering however. If it doesn't work out as hoped I can
flog it off (may lose a little money but that is the way with grass, it
keeps you poor). I need to master using the mower, pacing the cut, using it
round akward areas and adjusting its height just right before I can judge
how good a job it does. I just wanted others experiences but trial and error
will tell me.

rob