Old 08-05-2006, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Default Brassica seeds, pots or garden?

Robert wrote:
:
: "Broadback" wrote
: Most of my brassica seed packets say sow into a bed, however which do
the
: team do, also has anyone done both, in which case which was the best?
: Also if individual pots how many seeds per pot to ensure at least one
: strong plant will result? I've sowed a load into pots, using 6-8 seeds
: per pot and am wondering how many will germinate, all things being
equal.

I always sow thinly into 6 inch or so pots and plant out individually from
them as this gives them a start free of club root and any bugs in the soils

I start mine in pots, too. Easiest way for me to keep them from the
snails, slugs, rabbits and whatever else. Gives me more time to sort
out their final planting site, too

On a related issue, most of my brassica seedlings (cabbages, sprouts and
cauliflowers, particularly) sprout and then keel over to one side until
the base of the first set of true leaves touches the ground, after which
they grow normally. To the best of my recollection they've always done
this with no apparent ill effects. Is this normal behaviour, or am I
doing something wrong?

James