Old 08-05-2006, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Brassica seeds, pots or garden?

Most of my brassica seed packets say sow into a bed, however which do
the team do, also has anyone done both, in which case which was the
best? Also if individual pots how many seeds per pot to ensure at least
one strong plant will result? I've sowed a load into pots, using 6-8
seeds per pot and am wondering how many will germinate, all things being
equal.
--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Broadback wrote:
Most of my brassica seed packets say sow into a bed, however which do
the team do, also has anyone done both, in which case which was the
best? Also if individual pots how many seeds per pot to ensure at least
one strong plant will result? I've sowed a load into pots, using 6-8
seeds per pot and am wondering how many will germinate, all things being
equal.
--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.

I sowed kohlrabi and red cabbage straight into my veg patch last year.
Both did so terrifically well I had bother keeping up with the crop.
This year, I bought brussels sprout seedlings, which have gone into the
ground this week end. It's a bit early to say how well those are
doing...

Cat(h)

Old 08-05-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Broadback" wrote
Most of my brassica seed packets say sow into a bed, however which do the
team do, also has anyone done both, in which case which was the best?
Also if individual pots how many seeds per pot to ensure at least one
strong plant will result? I've sowed a load into pots, using 6-8 seeds
per pot and am wondering how many will germinate, all things being equal.

Due to a Flea Beatle (and possible Club Root) problem we grow ours at home
in Rootrainers filled with Levingtons Multi-purpose compost. Normally put
one or two seeds per section and weed out the weediest one if two come up.
Germination is normally quite good.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-05-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

:
: "Broadback" wrote
: Most of my brassica seed packets say sow into a bed, however which do
the
: team do, also has anyone done both, in which case which was the best?
: Also if individual pots how many seeds per pot to ensure at least one
: strong plant will result? I've sowed a load into pots, using 6-8 seeds
: per pot and am wondering how many will germinate, all things being
equal.

I always sow thinly into 6 inch or so pots and plant out individually from
them as this gives them a start free of club root and any bugs in the soils

Old 08-05-2006, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Broadback wrote:
Most of my brassica seed packets say sow into a bed, however which do
the team do, also has anyone done both, in which case which was the
best? Also if individual pots how many seeds per pot to ensure at
least one strong plant will result? I've sowed a load into pots,

I've only ever grown sprouts (in the brassica family) in 3 inch pots for a
few (6) weeks in the greenhouse or indoors, then hardened off (where they
are now) for a fortnight prior to going straight into the bed.

using 6-8 seeds per pot and am wondering how many will germinate, all
things being equal.

I planted two seeds per pot and every seed grown, I've just selected the
strongest / biggest / greenest looking specimens and left the others in the
GH just in case slugs / birds / whatever eats my chosen ones.

I read in this group a short while ago that they need to be firmed in
*thoroughly*, last years crop weren't bad, but the plants were horizontal by
late July, hopefully this years will be firmer and more plentiful.

I'm a beginner BTW, but I find it easier this way as it gives me a chance to
clear the bed of weeds while there is nothing else in it, if i sown them
directly into the soil they would have disappeared under a mountain of
horsetails and dandelions by now.
YMMV

Old 08-05-2006, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Robert wrote:
:
: "Broadback" wrote
: Most of my brassica seed packets say sow into a bed, however which do
the
: team do, also has anyone done both, in which case which was the best?
: Also if individual pots how many seeds per pot to ensure at least one
: strong plant will result? I've sowed a load into pots, using 6-8 seeds
: per pot and am wondering how many will germinate, all things being
equal.

I always sow thinly into 6 inch or so pots and plant out individually from
them as this gives them a start free of club root and any bugs in the soils

I start mine in pots, too. Easiest way for me to keep them from the
snails, slugs, rabbits and whatever else. Gives me more time to sort
out their final planting site, too

On a related issue, most of my brassica seedlings (cabbages, sprouts and
cauliflowers, particularly) sprout and then keel over to one side until
the base of the first set of true leaves touches the ground, after which
they grow normally. To the best of my recollection they've always done
this with no apparent ill effects. Is this normal behaviour, or am I
doing something wrong?

James
Old 09-05-2006, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Phil L wrote:
Broadback wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all your help, I guess that I over seeded then, I will know
better for next year, a packet should last me 2 years. Incidentally
brassicas always wilt when transplanted for a few days, my Father
reckoned that if they are stood up first thing in the mornings (never
seem to get up early enough myself) then they will be ok.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"James Fidell" wrote ((SNIP))

On a related issue, most of my brassica seedlings (cabbages, sprouts and
cauliflowers, particularly) sprout and then keel over to one side until
the base of the first set of true leaves touches the ground, after which
they grow normally. To the best of my recollection they've always done
this with no apparent ill effects. Is this normal behaviour, or am I
doing something wrong?

If you are then so am I. :-)

I just plant them down to the first leaves when transplanting them.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-05-2006, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Broadback" wrote ((SNIP))
Incidentally
brassicas always wilt when transplanted for a few days, my Father reckoned
that if they are stood up first thing in the mornings (never seem to get
up early enough myself) then they will be ok.

That's one of the reasons I use Rootrainers, the plants have their own
individual "pot" which comes apart like a book so you plant it out without
any root disturbance and therefore no check on growth. Expensive but worth
it IMO especially with cauliflowers which hate any check to growth.
For those that don't know what I'm prattling on
about....www.rootrainers.co.uk/home

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-05-2006, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Bob Hobden wrote:

That's one of the reasons I use Rootrainers, the plants have their own
individual "pot" which comes apart like a book so you plant it out without
any root disturbance and therefore no check on growth. Expensive but worth
it IMO especially with cauliflowers which hate any check to growth.
For those that don't know what I'm prattling on
about....www.rootrainers.co.uk/home

I used to use rootrainers quite a bit, especially for peas. I found
they "wore out" fairly quickly though, so these days I'm making tubes
by rolling some newspaper around a piece of drain pipe former, filling
the tube with compost and planting into those. The entire thing can
then be dropped into the soil without disturbing the roots when it comes
to plant them out.

James

Old 09-05-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"James Fidell" wrote in reply to
Bob Hobden who wrote:

That's one of the reasons I use Rootrainers, the plants have their own
individual "pot" which comes apart like a book so you plant it out
without
any root disturbance and therefore no check on growth. Expensive but
worth
it IMO especially with cauliflowers which hate any check to growth.
For those that don't know what I'm prattling on
about....www.rootrainers.co.uk/home

I used to use rootrainers quite a bit, especially for peas. I found
they "wore out" fairly quickly though, so these days I'm making tubes
by rolling some newspaper around a piece of drain pipe former, filling
the tube with compost and planting into those. The entire thing can
then be dropped into the soil without disturbing the roots when it comes
to plant them out.

I wouldn't waste them on peas, always plant direct (now with a pre-soak of
White Spirit to deter mice).
Toilet roll and kitchen roll cardboard inners work the same way as your
paper pots and you can easily collect enough over the year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Harvesting brassica seeds? David in Normandy[_8_] United Kingdom 8 02-05-2012 07:03 PM
brassica seedlings and pests Cat(h) United Kingdom 3 30-04-2009 02:54 PM
Brassica cage? Chris United Kingdom 14 06-04-2004 09:49 PM
Brassica Seedling problems United Kingdom 2 02-04-2003 05:56 AM
Brassica transplanting Patrick United Kingdom 5 01-04-2003 01:20 PM