Old 09-05-2006, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Brassica seeds, pots or garden?

Phil L wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Most of my brassica seed packets say sow into a bed, however which do
the team do, also has anyone done both, in which case which was the
best? Also if individual pots how many seeds per pot to ensure at
least one strong plant will result? I've sowed a load into pots,

I've only ever grown sprouts (in the brassica family) in 3 inch pots for a
few (6) weeks in the greenhouse or indoors, then hardened off (where they
are now) for a fortnight prior to going straight into the bed.

using 6-8 seeds per pot and am wondering how many will germinate, all
things being equal.

I planted two seeds per pot and every seed grown, I've just selected the
strongest / biggest / greenest looking specimens and left the others in the
GH just in case slugs / birds / whatever eats my chosen ones.

I read in this group a short while ago that they need to be firmed in
*thoroughly*, last years crop weren't bad, but the plants were horizontal by
late July, hopefully this years will be firmer and more plentiful.

I'm a beginner BTW, but I find it easier this way as it gives me a chance to
clear the bed of weeds while there is nothing else in it, if i sown them
directly into the soil they would have disappeared under a mountain of
horsetails and dandelions by now.
YMMV

Thanks for all your help, I guess that I over seeded then, I will know
better for next year, a packet should last me 2 years. Incidentally
brassicas always wilt when transplanted for a few days, my Father
reckoned that if they are stood up first thing in the mornings (never
seem to get up early enough myself) then they will be ok.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.