Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Default Need help identifying two plants.

Ted Swirsky said:

It's early May and I'm in South Jersey and have a weed and a flower I'd
like help identifying.

The first is some kind of weed that just started growing in a few places.
I was going to let it go for a while but noticed it had fine, stiff,
sharp, hairs all
along the stems so I said the heck with that baby, and dug it up. I would
still like
to know what it is.

http://swirsky.notlong.com/misc/055unknown1.jpg

I think it may be motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca).
http://www.missouriplants.com/Pinkop...iaca_page.html

It is considered a medicinal herb and also an invasive, exotic weed.
Pops up in my yard a lot (but has recently been overwhelmed by an
even more invasive weed, garlic mustard).

(attributed to Don Marti)