Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

Default Snail eradication?

Thanks, I didn't realize there was a safe dose of copper for fish, but
that will work for me. I don't want to drain the pond completely if
I don't have to.

I did run across an article about using copper for algae control and
it states copper should not be used if the KH is below 50ppm as fish
kill can result. I use limestone to keep the KH up and it often
reads 1 degree although the pH stays at or above 7.8 most of the time.
Sound reasonable that I could throw in some baking soda while I'm
treating with copper??

Regards,

Hal

On Tue, 09 May 2006 03:43:33 GMT, wrote:

copper sulfate (coppersafe) really works against snails. in higher pH water is
reasonably safe even for fish. if you move the fish out then use a double strength
copper sulfate. I tried everything and only copper worked really well and fast.
Ingrid