Old 09-05-2006, 04:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default That's not very encouraging

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
Han wrote in
:

"I Love Lucy" wrote in
nk.net:

http://www2.yardiac.com/square.asp?t...74:12286958&ca
rt_id=298301 5:145613539218&item_id=1150

I can't believe it. $269. Hope it isn't too good to be
true! Thanks so much. I went through every page of
results and this was the last one.

I have seen things like that. Now the question is where to
get the cedar? Here in North Jersey, that appears
difficult.

huh? it's a KIT. it comes with semi-preassembled panels. you
don't have to find the cedar lumber.

Yes, it all comes in a kit, they aren't cheap (one was but the slightly
larger one is almost twice as much), and now I find I could have gotten
them a little cheaper elsewhere now that I know the design names to
google. I can assemble it myself if the side pieces don't require too
much strength to slide into the channels and stick. It/they will need
to be assembled outdoors. I won't be able to carry it by myself once
it's put together or install it, will have to hire somebody to pour the
cement footings. Now I'm trying to figure out the easiest/fastest way
to paint it white without getting spray all over everything. One thing
at a time. I'll worry about that later. And some tree limbs will have
to be trimmed back a little I notice. In fact, with one, the whole tree
may have to come down because a large limb will be too close which I
didn't consider in the dark when I was measuring.

This is what happens when I try to make things better.

OTOH, if it's anything like the one i bought (similar price
but arched top) it won't hold together long enough to get it
erected & levelled the screws just stripped right out of
the wood.
however, it wasn't a total waste. the chickens have a nice
cedar arch roost... and the side panels are going to be
incorporated into one of my hops trellises (i have 4 varieties
of hops now, & Irish moss for the beer garden g)
lee

That is very scary. If it appears that something like that will happen,
I don't know what I will do. Maybe there will be some way to salvage
them with some type of bolts. If they look too flimsy they are going
back, and I'll probably have to pay the shipping which is $98. OTOH, if
you don't take some risks and make a few mistakes along the way, you
never end up getting anything done and find yourself with everything
falling down around you.

--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of