Old 08-05-2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Could use some advice/input about having two custom pergolas built

I'm crossposting this to the garden and woodworking group, tried to
search through the archives, but info is not current enough for my
needs.

For the last several years, I've had my heart set on having two pergolas
built EXACTLY like the one I posted at the link, 155 KB slow to download
right now for me, hope it doesn't cause problem, hasn't before that size
with high speed:

http://www.white-peacock.com/Pergola.jpg

Now I have someone close to the family who might be able to build them
for me, but I have no plans. It will have to span a front walkway with
two steps about 47 wide plus a little extra room on the sides, and I'll
have to figure out a proper height by measuring one in the neighborhood
or around town somewhere. The one at the back should work the same size
although the top of the steps and sidewalk are narrower.

Anybody have any ideas of how to go about this? Building it will be one
thing; installing another. It probably has to be anchored in concrete.
I want quality wood with no knotholes which will be more expensive.
Quality scrap lumber would be ok, too.

The only compromise I'd be willing to make are with the rounded braces
and lattice on the sides. The lattice could crisscross diagonally,
can't think of the word for it at the moment, and you can buy wood
sheets of that for $17.95. There is plastic but don't want that.

I could *almost* draw up a rough plan myself, but it might not be
precise enough. I have looked all over the web and in garden books in
the past, around town, but have never found one I have liked as well as
this one. Sorry photo quality not the best, took a pic of a calendar
page with my digicam.

I will check back when I can, but have a lot of things going right now
in the way of home improvement, so I can't respond right away if
somebody has a question.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:05 AM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"Leuf" wrote in message
[...]

Invite the person over. Let them see the photo and have a look at the
locations where you want them and tell them what you want. If they
are capable of doing it then they are capable of figuring it out from
that and whatever questions they will have for you. You don't need to
give them plans.

It's a 20-ish kid with the right saw(s). I have no clue if he is up to
it or not, but if I supervise for quality control, we might be able to
get the job done. I can't really afford to pay a carpenter to build me
custom ones. The regular ones around here run $500 and up apiece; only
a carpenter would take on building to my specs. I've had a couple of
carpenters who didn't do things right. The really good ones will charge
a lot.

I may have to enlist others to help and do all or part of it myself. My
main concern is getting the proportions right. It looks like some
grooves may have to be routed.

Thanks for responding.

-Leuf

Old 09-05-2006, 01:10 AM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
BobS

It's a 20-ish kid with the right saw(s). I have no clue if he is up to
it or not, but if I supervise for quality control, we might be able to get
the job done. I can't really afford to pay a carpenter to build me custom
ones. The regular ones around here run $500 and up apiece; only a
carpenter would take on building to my specs. I've had a couple of
carpenters who didn't do things right. The really good ones will charge a
lot.

I may have to enlist others to help and do all or part of it myself. My
main concern is getting the proportions right. It looks like some grooves
may have to be routed.

Thanks for responding.

Suggest you do a Google search on "Pergola Plans" and either find some free
or low cost plans that may be close enough and then modify them to suit your
taste.

Bob S.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:51 AM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"BobS" wrote in message

It's a 20-ish kid with the right saw(s). I have no clue if he is up
it or not, but if I supervise for quality control, we might be able
to get the job done. I can't really afford to pay a carpenter to
build me custom ones. The regular ones around here run $500 and up
apiece; only a carpenter would take on building to my specs. I've
had a couple of carpenters who didn't do things right. The really
good ones will charge a lot.

I may have to enlist others to help and do all or part of it myself.
My main concern is getting the proportions right. It looks like some
grooves may have to be routed.

Thanks for responding.

Suggest you do a Google search on "Pergola Plans" and either find some
free or low cost plans that may be close enough and then modify them
to suit your taste.

That is a good suggestion. I ran through several pages and they aren't
even close. I'll keep trying. I did a lot of searching on it about 3
years ago, too. Thanks. I did find a book and almost bought it, then
backed off. I have no way of knowing if there is anything close or not.
It's plans from 1926, but not just pergolas, which is about the era my
house was built. Maybe I can track that down at the library or a later
edition by the same author.

It is called "Practical Landscape Gardening" by Robert B. Cridland. I
found that in the newsgroup archives.

Bob S.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default OMG, I found one to assemble! It looks just like it to me, am I dreaming?

http://www2.yardiac.com/square.asp?t...8&item_id=1150

I can't believe it. $269. Hope it isn't too good to be true! Thanks
so much. I went through every page of results and this was the last
one.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:36 AM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens

go to your local hardware store and look for some of those "books" on garden
woodworking, or find a woodworking store in your area, even go to the library. I
have seen plans like those around. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 09-05-2006, 11:36 AM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
Han

"I Love Lucy" wrote in
nk.net:

http://www2.yardiac.com/square.asp?t...cart_id=298301
5:145613539218&item_id=1150

I can't believe it. $269. Hope it isn't too good to be true! Thanks
so much. I went through every page of results and this was the last
one.

I have seen things like that. Now the question is where to get the cedar?
Here in North Jersey, that appears difficult.

--
Best regards
Han
Old 09-05-2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
enigma

Han wrote in
:

"I Love Lucy" wrote in
nk.net:

http://www2.yardiac.com/square.asp?t...74:12286958&ca
rt_id=298301 5:145613539218&item_id=1150

I can't believe it. $269. Hope it isn't too good to be
true! Thanks so much. I went through every page of
results and this was the last one.

I have seen things like that. Now the question is where to
get the cedar? Here in North Jersey, that appears
difficult.

huh? it's a KIT. it comes with semi-preassembled panels. you
don't have to find the cedar lumber.
OTOH, if it's anything like the one i bought (similar price
but arched top) it won't hold together long enough to get it
erected & levelled the screws just stripped right out of
the wood.
however, it wasn't a total waste. the chickens have a nice
cedar arch roost... and the side panels are going to be
incorporated into one of my hops trellises (i have 4 varieties
of hops now, & Irish moss for the beer garden g)
lee
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of
Old 09-05-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
Pat Barber

That's not a pergola in my opinion.

That's a basic arbor that can be built with
very basic hand tools.

Lowes or Home Depot will have several books on
"Garden Structures"...

Old 09-05-2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
That's not a pergola in my opinion.

Yes, it's called an arbor. I don't know the difference really. I
wouldn't class it as a trellis although it has one incorporated in the
design.

That's a basic arbor that can be built with
very basic hand tools.

I found and ordered a kit for two different sizes, thanks to a poster
who encouraged me to do a massive search (had before), after looking at
umpteen photos, I found one. Now that I know the design names, I can
google them and come up with all sorts of places that sell the exact
same thing.

Lowes or Home Depot will have several books on
"Garden Structures"...

:-). I have a bad habit of buying a book, then never get the real
thing. I do have a book of plans for gazebos somewhere around here. I
don't really have room for one of those; the arbors will suffice. If
they hold together.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default That's not very encouraging

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
Han wrote in
:

"I Love Lucy" wrote in
nk.net:

http://www2.yardiac.com/square.asp?t...74:12286958&ca
rt_id=298301 5:145613539218&item_id=1150

I can't believe it. $269. Hope it isn't too good to be
true! Thanks so much. I went through every page of
results and this was the last one.

I have seen things like that. Now the question is where to
get the cedar? Here in North Jersey, that appears
difficult.

huh? it's a KIT. it comes with semi-preassembled panels. you
don't have to find the cedar lumber.

Yes, it all comes in a kit, they aren't cheap (one was but the slightly
larger one is almost twice as much), and now I find I could have gotten
them a little cheaper elsewhere now that I know the design names to
google. I can assemble it myself if the side pieces don't require too
much strength to slide into the channels and stick. It/they will need
to be assembled outdoors. I won't be able to carry it by myself once
it's put together or install it, will have to hire somebody to pour the
cement footings. Now I'm trying to figure out the easiest/fastest way
to paint it white without getting spray all over everything. One thing
at a time. I'll worry about that later. And some tree limbs will have
to be trimmed back a little I notice. In fact, with one, the whole tree
may have to come down because a large limb will be too close which I
didn't consider in the dark when I was measuring.

This is what happens when I try to make things better.

OTOH, if it's anything like the one i bought (similar price
but arched top) it won't hold together long enough to get it
erected & levelled the screws just stripped right out of
the wood.
however, it wasn't a total waste. the chickens have a nice
cedar arch roost... and the side panels are going to be
incorporated into one of my hops trellises (i have 4 varieties
of hops now, & Irish moss for the beer garden g)
lee

That is very scary. If it appears that something like that will happen,
I don't know what I will do. Maybe there will be some way to salvage
them with some type of bolts. If they look too flimsy they are going
back, and I'll probably have to pay the shipping which is $98. OTOH, if
you don't take some risks and make a few mistakes along the way, you
never end up getting anything done and find yourself with everything
falling down around you.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:30 AM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
Roy

Try this site. Lots of WW mags have run articles like this, and a few of them offer free online
plans. You might find something you like there.

www.woodworkingmagazineindex.com

Great site. Thousands of articles are included.

Regards,
Roy

Old 11-05-2006, 03:46 PM posted to rec.woodworking,rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"Roy" wrote in message
Try this site. Lots of WW mags have run articles like this, and a few
of them offer free online
plans. You might find something you like there.

www.woodworkingmagazineindex.com

Great site. Thousands of articles are included.

I will take a look at it, but I ordered two kit arbors just exactly like
the one in the photo I posted except cedar wood. Thank you. There
might be other things I'd be interested in. I once had the cutest
little hexagon plant stand that was homemade I dragged home when my aunt
died, and it has disappeared as have other things. I have tried and
tried to find one exactly like it on ebay, but none as pretty as the one
I had. The legs had a pretty keyhole cut and the top was rounded off.
I've looked at books of old plans, and do have a writeup with approx
instructions for that, but I would never be able to duplicate that exact
keyhold cut for the legs unless I find the original plans. I could
possibly draw it out and come close, but I fear not close enough.

Thanks!