Old 09-05-2006, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty

Default Can an orchid be both bifoliate and unifoliate?

In 2002, I bought a little C. Little Angel '#1' x B. Digbyana 'Laura'
AM/AOS from Carter and Holmes. Alas, it has yet to flower, and my guess
is that it yearns for a greenhouse, but I don't know. The plant has,
however, grown and multipled in S/H culture, and today I divided it
into three plants. The divisions have 5, 7, and 10 pseudobulbs.
Curiously, some of the plant's mature leaves are bifoliate, and some
are unifoliate. ??? I thought that orchids in the Cattleya family were
supposed to be either one or the other. Is this a sign that I have a
defective or confused plant?

I had planned on selling two of the divisions at an OS sale, but
thought I'd better first find out if I might be unloading dud plants on
unsuspecting buyers, which I don't want to do. Thanks for any help you
can provide.