Old 10-05-2006, 12:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

Default First Lawnmower

Todd Lerfondler wrote:
Wondering what kind of push mower you all recommend. I've got about 1/4 acre
to mow every time. The one I have now is going to be driven into the ground
and I'm not sure how much longer I have with it.

There are two schools of thought here.
1 - Get a cheapo and plan on replacing it every 3-4 years.
2 - Get a good one that will last 20 years or so.
I prefer option 2. Honda builds about the best mower/engine combination
around. There are plenty of other mower mfgs but most all of them use
purchased engines and usually go for the least expensive they can find
because any engine trouble is not their problem.

One dead give away when looking at mowers is to check the cables. If
they are thick and multiple strands then you are looking at a quality
mower. If it is a solid wire or has no cables at all, it's a cheapo.

--
Art