Old 09-05-2006, 07:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Todd Lerfondler

Default First Lawnmower

Wondering what kind of push mower you all recommend. I've got about 1/4 acre
to mow every time. The one I have now is going to be driven into the ground
and I'm not sure how much longer I have with it.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Todd Lerfondler wrote:
Wondering what kind of push mower you all recommend. I've got about 1/4 acre
to mow every time. The one I have now is going to be driven into the ground
and I'm not sure how much longer I have with it.

I have a Honda Harmony 215 and like it a lot. About 6 years old now
and no problems. It's a mulcher and does an excellent job of finely
mulching the clippings.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Todd Lerfondler

I hear the upkeep on Hondas can get expensive.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

Todd Lerfondler wrote:
Wondering what kind of push mower you all recommend. I've got about 1/4 acre
to mow every time. The one I have now is going to be driven into the ground
and I'm not sure how much longer I have with it.

There are two schools of thought here.
1 - Get a cheapo and plan on replacing it every 3-4 years.
2 - Get a good one that will last 20 years or so.
I prefer option 2. Honda builds about the best mower/engine combination
around. There are plenty of other mower mfgs but most all of them use
purchased engines and usually go for the least expensive they can find
because any engine trouble is not their problem.

One dead give away when looking at mowers is to check the cables. If
they are thick and multiple strands then you are looking at a quality
mower. If it is a solid wire or has no cables at all, it's a cheapo.

--
Art
Old 10-05-2006, 12:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

Todd Lerfondler wrote:

I hear the upkeep on Hondas can get expensive.

It can be if they are not taken care of. A good example (and what most
people complain about) is the air filter on the HR series. They cost
about $20 US - but it has a high quality pre-filter that can be washed
many times. If the air filter is maintained it will last 4-5 seasons
under avg use. Compared to about $2 for your average sponge air filter
that should be replaced every year and yes, Honda is slightly more
expensive.

On average their parts are slightly more expensive but the quality is
also higher. You can't expect to pay the same price for a Honda throttle
cable as you would for an MTD cable but then the Honda cable will
generally last several times as long.

--
Art

Old 10-05-2006, 04:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Timothy

On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:59:15 -0400, Artemis wrote:

Todd Lerfondler wrote:

I hear the upkeep on Hondas can get expensive.

It can be if they are not taken care of. A good example (and what most
people complain about) is the air filter on the HR series. They cost
about $20 US - but it has a high quality pre-filter that can be washed
many times. If the air filter is maintained it will last 4-5 seasons
under avg use. Compared to about $2 for your average sponge air filter
that should be replaced every year and yes, Honda is slightly more
expensive.

On average their parts are slightly more expensive but the quality is
also higher. You can't expect to pay the same price for a Honda throttle
cable as you would for an MTD cable but then the Honda cable will
generally last several times as long.

I have a commercial honda 215 and run the wheels off of it and the owner's
cost has been quite low. I change the oil ever month or two, change spark
plug and air filter every year. The parts are very reasonable in price and
well made for the most part.
Look here for your filters:
http://mowmore.com/

Mow More Catalog #: H07980 Category: Air Filters-Honda Honda Air Filter
H07980
Product Name: Replaces O.E.M. 17211-ZG9-M00. Fits SX series. Harmony 215
model HRM215. OD- 5-3/4", ID- 3-1/2", Height- 1". Price: $4.99

--
http://resources.ywgc.com/info/
Old 10-05-2006, 02:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ether Jones

My Sears Craftsman is 20 years old this spring. It has never had any
trouble; never been to a repair shop. Still using the original spark
plug. Air filter has been changed once. Starts on the first pull
every time.

At the end of every season, I change the oil (Mobil 1), clean the air
filter, clean the underside of the mower deck, sharpen the blade (with
my bench grinder), and put a dash of StaBil in the gas tank (and run
the engine to get it into the carb).

Of course, I bought this machine 20 years ago. I have no idea what is
the quality of the mowers Sears is selling in 2006.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Muvin Gruvin

Bought a Sears Craftsman back in 79/80 finally sold it at a garage sale
for $15 in 97 as my new place was too big.
Bought another push Craftsman with the larger wheels in the back for
easier pushing. However, as I have aged and slope of my side yard it got
a lil tiring.
So traded my kids for the Craftsman I got them for a housewarming
present. This one is self propelled and I just love it.
The hole for the grass catcher is much larger than the other one. My
yard is 1/2 acre and I can do the whole job myself.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Muvin Gruvin

Default First Lawnmower ...PS

that 1st Craftsman I bought back in the late 70's never went to the
repair shop.
Think I may have changed the spark plug once, added oil as needed. Never
used gas that had stabilizer in it so it served me well for 19 years.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

honda without a doubt...if your going cheep. , dont get a tecumseh
engine.get a briggs engine with a carb that uses a float bowl, and get
ball bearing wheels..lucas

Old 19-05-2006, 06:45 PM
tom tom is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Todd Lerfondler wrote:[color=blue]
Wondering what kind of push mower you all recommend. I've got about 1/4 acre
to mow every time.
--
Art
I used a Honda for many years for my slightly larger orchard. At 80 it became heavy and I found Sweden's Stiga on this site. Stiga 46S multiclip is lighter, manoeuverable and cheaper. It is also much faster as there is no collecting and carrying. The cuttings are chopped so finely that they mulch in a day or so, fertilising the lawn. The push model (46) has a Honda engine, the self propelled (46S) a Briggs & Stratton which thankfully has been good, unlike some I remember from years ago.
The Stiga site from google lists local retailers or www.abbeygardensales.co.uk will send one carriage free in a few days.
The only snag so far is wearing of the plastic drive teeth within the front wheels, probably from not disengaging or lifting the nose when to-ing and fro-ing round trees. I wonder if other users have met this.

Tom
Tom