Old 09-05-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Brassica seeds, pots or garden?

"James Fidell" wrote in reply to
Bob Hobden who wrote:

That's one of the reasons I use Rootrainers, the plants have their own
individual "pot" which comes apart like a book so you plant it out
without
any root disturbance and therefore no check on growth. Expensive but
worth
it IMO especially with cauliflowers which hate any check to growth.
For those that don't know what I'm prattling on
about....www.rootrainers.co.uk/home

I used to use rootrainers quite a bit, especially for peas. I found
they "wore out" fairly quickly though, so these days I'm making tubes
by rolling some newspaper around a piece of drain pipe former, filling
the tube with compost and planting into those. The entire thing can
then be dropped into the soil without disturbing the roots when it comes
to plant them out.

I wouldn't waste them on peas, always plant direct (now with a pre-soak of
White Spirit to deter mice).
Toilet roll and kitchen roll cardboard inners work the same way as your
paper pots and you can easily collect enough over the year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden