Old 11-05-2006, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar

Default Photos of infestation Thanks

In article ,
says...

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
. ..
Jimi said:

Hello ...I posted 4 photos seen here of a Skotch pine tree. I then have
three photos of trunk infestation. I live in Southern Saskatchewan Canada
(close to the montanna border) . The tree apears very healthy, however the
holes in the tree have me concerned... Any ideas on what this is and how
combat it would be a great help. Thank you all for any positive

Sap wells drilled by yellow-bellied sap suckers. You could try using
flash
tape to scare them off. Otherwise do what you can to keep the tree
in excellent condition. Most healthy trees can tolerate some sapsucker
damage.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Thank-you!

Thanks guys for the information............ Since I love to see the birds
around and the tree seems quite healthy, I think I'll let nature take care
of itself. I was alarmed when I saw the holes in the tree. I thought it
was a bug or larvae infestation. Now that I know it's a woodpecker, I'll
leave him alone. He's out there trying to make a living like the rest of us.
Thanks again for the responses.

Warm Regards...Jim

A couple of info links...
http://www.gardenline.usask.ca/pests/sapsucker.html