Old 11-05-2006, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jimi

Default Photos of infestation

Hello ...I posted 4 photos seen here of a Skotch pine tree. I then have
three photos of trunk infestation. I live in Southern Saskatchewan Canada
(close to the montanna border) . The tree apears very healthy, however the
holes in the tree have me concerned... Any ideas on what this is and how to
combat it would be a great help. Thank you all for any positive responses..

Here are the photos:

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pip.../ph//my_photos

Old 11-05-2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

"Jimi" wrote in
:

Hello ...I posted 4 photos seen here of a Skotch pine
tree. I then have
three photos of trunk infestation. I live in Southern
Saskatchewan Canada (close to the montanna border) . The
tree apears very healthy, however the holes in the tree
have me concerned... Any ideas on what this is and how to
combat it would be a great help. Thank you all for any
positive responses..

well, the holes are from a woodpecker. woodpeckers eat
assorted inscects that crawl on or burrow in trees, so the
holes are a good thing. if the tree appears healthy i wouldn't
worry too much about it, but you might want to keep an eye out
for borers or carpenter ants.
lee
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of
Old 11-05-2006, 11:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Jimi said:

Hello ...I posted 4 photos seen here of a Skotch pine tree. I then have
three photos of trunk infestation. I live in Southern Saskatchewan Canada
(close to the montanna border) . The tree apears very healthy, however the
holes in the tree have me concerned... Any ideas on what this is and how to
combat it would be a great help. Thank you all for any positive responses..

Sap wells drilled by yellow-bellied sap suckers. You could try using flash
tape to scare them off. Otherwise do what you can to keep the tree
in excellent condition. Most healthy trees can tolerate some sapsucker
damage.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 11-05-2006, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jimi

Default Photos of infestation Thanks

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
. ..
Jimi said:

Hello ...I posted 4 photos seen here of a Skotch pine tree. I then have
three photos of trunk infestation. I live in Southern Saskatchewan Canada
(close to the montanna border) . The tree apears very healthy, however the
holes in the tree have me concerned... Any ideas on what this is and how
combat it would be a great help. Thank you all for any positive

Sap wells drilled by yellow-bellied sap suckers. You could try using
flash
tape to scare them off. Otherwise do what you can to keep the tree
in excellent condition. Most healthy trees can tolerate some sapsucker
damage.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Thank-you!

Thanks guys for the information............ Since I love to see the birds
around and the tree seems quite healthy, I think I'll let nature take care
of itself. I was alarmed when I saw the holes in the tree. I thought it
was a bug or larvae infestation. Now that I know it's a woodpecker, I'll
leave him alone. He's out there trying to make a living like the rest of us.
Thanks again for the responses.

Warm Regards...Jim

Old 11-05-2006, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar

In article ,
says...

Jimi said:

[...]

A couple of info links...
http://www.gardenline.usask.ca/pests/sapsucker.html
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fid/june97/06209714.html

Lar

Old 11-05-2006, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ether Jones

woodpeckers eat assorted inscects that crawl on or burrow in trees,
so the holes are a good thing.

I was told that the woodpeckers drill their holes to cause sap to flow
to *attract* insects which the woodpeckers then eat. If this is
correct, then the holes are a _not_ a "good thing".

Old 18-05-2006, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Plant Info

The uniformity of the holes look to be sapsucker (woodpecker) damage:
http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/week...8-20-01-1.html

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Old 18-05-2006, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Sounds a lot like a "What came first - the chicken or the egg?"
thing;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

[IMG] code is On

ant infestation Lee & Deb Miles Bonsai 2 26-03-2003 01:56 AM
[IBC] ant infestation Jim Lewis Bonsai 6 25-03-2003 05:20 PM
Botanical gardens photos (Was Rachel Corrie- PA staged photos) Hane Edible Gardening 0 25-03-2003 03:32 PM
What Insect infestation do I have Hamish United Kingdom 0 23-03-2003 01:32 PM
Tomato infestation Polar Edible Gardening 3 20-02-2003 08:03 PM