Old 11-05-2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Duckweed

"~ janj" wrote in message
news
Japanese Koi, go for the cheaper pond quality ones, locally we can get
them under $25. ;o) ~ jan
--------------
I can't keep duckweed in my ponds. It's eaten within minutes of my dumping
it in. I raise it for them in a large tub behind the outbuilding and
harvest it weekly.

I'm starting to see young locally raised koi and GF selling for as little as
50¢ to $3 each in our PennySaver papers. I'll be advertising to give some
away for free soon if I can't find a shop to take the rest of them. I know
this competes with the stores but I have no choice. We put the plants from
the diamondscale butterfly koi pond in 2 kiddy pools so we could pump down
the pond to fix the berm. The plants were loaded with eggs. Now I have
another few hundred koi to raise and sell next year. Thankfully these are
the butterfly type and should go fast next spring.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.