Old 10-05-2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mike Burn

Default Duckweed

Help ! First timer on this group, with a problem - Duckweed. I have never
knowingly introduced it to my pond, but now it is taking over, and the three
fish are no longer seen (Ghost Carp and goldfish). What ferocious fish can I
introduce to devour the duckweed ? (But not the other fish.

Many Thanks

Mike
Old 10-05-2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Wed, 10 May 2006 14:42:03 +0100, Mike Burn wrote:

Help ! First timer on this group, with a problem - Duckweed. I have never
knowingly introduced it to my pond, but now it is taking over, and the three
fish are no longer seen (Ghost Carp and goldfish). What ferocious fish can I
introduce to devour the duckweed ? (But not the other fish.
Mike

Hmmm, that's a new one, usually the fish you have are suggested to eat it.
Stop feeding them, I assume you are? They will eat the duckweed. If that
doesn't work, get a Japanese Koi over 6" (course all fish should go thru a
minimum 6 week quarantine, especially koi, before going in your pond).
http://tinyurl.com/55kv6 ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 10-05-2006, 04:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mike Burn

Many thanks - I'll go for some more fish - wasn't sure whether duckweed was
a preferred dietary item, though ! Don't know about 6" Koi, though - a bit
pricey !

Old 10-05-2006, 04:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Duckweed
"Mike Burn" wrote in message
.. .

Many thanks - I'll go for some more fish - wasn't sure whether duckweed was
a preferred dietary item, though ! Don't know about 6" Koi, though - a bit
pricey !
==============
There is a duckweed that GF and koi will not eat no matter how hungry they
are. It doesn't have the smooth round edges or shiny surface of the one
they will eat. If you have that type infesting your pond you need to net it
out. Spread it around your yard as it will enrich the soil.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

-------------
Get FREE newsgroup access from http://www.cheap56k.com

Old 10-05-2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

It's not a plant it's an infestation. I have it everywhere and hate it. You
CAN remove it manualy with a net. Do it every day till it's gone. You'll
get quite sick of doing this vut eventually you'll win out.

Yiou muct remove EVERY spec. One stupid lousy leaf and it can all come back
from that.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 10-05-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.ponds

well.... if the fish wont eat it then try a protein skimmer. gradually it will float
along and get sucked into the skimmer where it can be removed. Ingrid

Mike Burn wrote:

Help ! First timer on this group, with a problem - Duckweed. I have never
knowingly introduced it to my pond, but now it is taking over, and the three
fish are no longer seen (Ghost Carp and goldfish). What ferocious fish can I
introduce to devour the duckweed ? (But not the other fish.

Many Thanks

Mike

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 11-05-2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Wed, 10 May 2006 10:24:17 -0500, "Koi-Lo" wrote:
There is a duckweed that GF and koi will not eat no matter how hungry they
are.

Yes, you're very right! We could have a misidentification here.

Look up Azolla & Duckweed and compare the pictures.

Ingrid mentioned skimmers. There are skimmers that don't have to be built
in, work on a small pump w/spray bar that push surface debris into a net.
This might work very well for you, if what you have is Azolla not Duckweed.
Japanese Koi, go for the cheaper pond quality ones, locally we can get
them under $25. ;o) ~ jan
--------------

Old 11-05-2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"~ janj" wrote in message
news
Japanese Koi, go for the cheaper pond quality ones, locally we can get
them under $25. ;o) ~ jan
--------------
I can't keep duckweed in my ponds. It's eaten within minutes of my dumping
it in. I raise it for them in a large tub behind the outbuilding and
harvest it weekly.

I'm starting to see young locally raised koi and GF selling for as little as
50¢ to $3 each in our PennySaver papers. I'll be advertising to give some
away for free soon if I can't find a shop to take the rest of them. I know
this competes with the stores but I have no choice. We put the plants from
the diamondscale butterfly koi pond in 2 kiddy pools so we could pump down
the pond to fix the berm. The plants were loaded with eggs. Now I have
another few hundred koi to raise and sell next year. Thankfully these are
the butterfly type and should go fast next spring.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mike Burn

Thanks to everyone responding here - I used to net the duckweed and keep it
under control, but what I didn't mention was that the pond is now full of
newt, frog and toad tadpoles .... raking the blanket algae out took me ages
to release the entrapped taddies, skimming the duckweed could take even
longer - don't want to be responsible for multi million deaths - I'm just a
big softie, you see ! I will look for a couple of hungry Koi.