Old 11-05-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mike Burn

Default Duckweed

Thanks to everyone responding here - I used to net the duckweed and keep it
under control, but what I didn't mention was that the pond is now full of
newt, frog and toad tadpoles .... raking the blanket algae out took me ages
to release the entrapped taddies, skimming the duckweed could take even
longer - don't want to be responsible for multi million deaths - I'm just a
big softie, you see ! I will look for a couple of hungry Koi.

From: "Koi-Lo"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:04:24 -0500
Subject: Duckweed

"~ janj" wrote in message
news
Japanese Koi, go for the cheaper pond quality ones, locally we can get
them under $25. ;o) ~ jan
--------------
I can't keep duckweed in my ponds. It's eaten within minutes of my dumping
it in. I raise it for them in a large tub behind the outbuilding and
harvest it weekly.

I'm starting to see young locally raised koi and GF selling for as little as
50¢ to $3 each in our PennySaver papers. I'll be advertising to give some
away for free soon if I can't find a shop to take the rest of them. I know
this competes with the stores but I have no choice. We put the plants from
the diamondscale butterfly koi pond in 2 kiddy pools so we could pump down
the pond to fix the berm. The plants were loaded with eggs. Now I have
another few hundred koi to raise and sell next year. Thankfully these are
the butterfly type and should go fast next spring.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.