Old 11-05-2006, 08:18 PM posted to austin.gardening
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Default Household bleach

Jonny wrote:

Frequent the local dollar store here in Wimberley. The store has cases and
cases of household bleach stacked inside the store. Noticed a few folks
were buying the bleach by the case (6 gallon containers in a case).
Curious, I asked one person why so much bleach. He said he is using to pour
undiluted in standing water areas on his land. Made me curious.

What is this doing to:
-the water table
-local flora
-animals and insects that drink this bleach water
-long term affects
???
--
Jonny

Jonny,
Before we go reporting this guy to "someone" it would be advisable to do a
search to see what the bleach will do to the environment. I'm not saying that
he hasn't already done so and knows what he is doing, but maybe he does know
what he is doing. Mind you, I am not an environmentalist wacko, even though I
have gone organic in my vegetable patch at home, the yard and flower beds. On
the other hand, at times the organic way does not work and one has to turn to
other means of fixin' things, and that does not mean that I have no concern or
care for the environment. There is ALWAYS a happy medium to all problems, and
maybe, just maybe that is what this guy found. Let's not jump to conclusions
and go to the extremes.

Ray
South Austin
===