Old 11-05-2006, 01:41 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Default Household bleach

Frequent the local dollar store here in Wimberley. The store has cases and
cases of household bleach stacked inside the store. Noticed a few folks
were buying the bleach by the case (6 gallon containers in a case).
Curious, I asked one person why so much bleach. He said he is using to pour
undiluted in standing water areas on his land. Made me curious.

What is this doing to:
-the water table
-local flora
-animals and insects that drink this bleach water
-long term affects
???
--
Jonny

Old 11-05-2006, 06:47 PM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

That is really scary.
I drink well water.
Grrrrr!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen
--
This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed
to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.

k.net...

Old 11-05-2006, 06:54 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

[snip]
Curious, I asked one person why so much bleach. He said he is using to
pour
undiluted in standing water areas on his land. Made me curious.
What is this doing to:
-the water table
-local flora
-animals and insects that drink this bleach water
-long term affects
???
Jonny

It's poisoning and killing everything! Good God, the man is a flaming
idiot! You should report it to someone.

Cindy

Old 11-05-2006, 08:18 PM posted to austin.gardening
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Jonny wrote:

Frequent the local dollar store here in Wimberley. The store has cases and
cases of household bleach stacked inside the store. Noticed a few folks
were buying the bleach by the case (6 gallon containers in a case).
Curious, I asked one person why so much bleach. He said he is using to pour
undiluted in standing water areas on his land. Made me curious.

What is this doing to:
-the water table
-local flora
-animals and insects that drink this bleach water
-long term affects
???
--
Jonny

Jonny,
Before we go reporting this guy to "someone" it would be advisable to do a
search to see what the bleach will do to the environment. I'm not saying that
he hasn't already done so and knows what he is doing, but maybe he does know
what he is doing. Mind you, I am not an environmentalist wacko, even though I
have gone organic in my vegetable patch at home, the yard and flower beds. On
the other hand, at times the organic way does not work and one has to turn to
other means of fixin' things, and that does not mean that I have no concern or
care for the environment. There is ALWAYS a happy medium to all problems, and
maybe, just maybe that is what this guy found. Let's not jump to conclusions
and go to the extremes.

Ray
South Austin
===

Old 12-05-2006, 11:41 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Same here Kathy.

City of Wimberley depends on ground water from a well also. Its stored on
that big blue water tower off Wayside Drive. Further down the street, just
outside Wimberley city limits on the left-hand side, a local septic company
dumps the "blue water" from the portable toilets on his own land.
--
Jonny
"Kathleen" wrote in message
That is really scary.
I drink well water.
Grrrrr!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen
--
This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed
to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.
~ C.S.Lewis

k.net...

Old 12-05-2006, 11:56 AM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

I had no idea that was a water tower!

I spent Wednesday (with my kiddo) at John Knox ranch. They talked about the
'cedar' trees, and how they suck up so much water. They had a contraption
made by UT students where they poured water in the top and it "rained" over
4 different bins. One was filled with native grasses (which prevent erosion
and make the ground more porous), one had a cedar tree and represented "over
pastured land", one had "impervious ground cover" (asphalt, concrete) and
the last one had native xeriscape. Then there was an outlet for the water
from the bottom of the bin and one at the top for "runoff". It was
fascinating!

These demonstrations I've been seeing the past few years are turning me into
a tree hugger! That is *REALLY* scary. ::wink::

Isn't dumping "blue water" illegal? I know someone got in trouble for
dumping septic stuff behind our land years ago, long before it was ours.

With hope and heart,
Kathleen

--
This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed
to practice ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.

Same here Kathy.

City of Wimberley depends on ground water from a well also. Its stored on
that big blue water tower off Wayside Drive. Further down the street,

just
outside Wimberley city limits on the left-hand side, a local septic

company
dumps the "blue water" from the portable toilets on his own land.
--
Jonny

That is really scary.
I drink well water.
Grrrrr!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen
--
This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed
to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.
~ C.S.Lewis

k.net...

Old 12-05-2006, 12:33 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote in message

Jonny wrote:

[...]

Okay. Chlorine tablets can be backflushed into a well. This is known as
"shocking the well". Normally done if the well has developed bacterial
health hazards in the well pocket.
Here's similar using sodium hypochlorate (household bleach) when abandoning
and sealing off a well.
http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/2000/ic000114.html
http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1994.htm
Scroll down to the "Should I drink tap water header":
http://www.sportsdoctor.com/chg/environment.html

Household chlorine bleach is classified as hazardous waste. At least this
site says so:
http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/ext...m/he368_3.html

The manufacturers of the household bleach product are not required to
disclose its contents, only some hazards.

Some "green" cleaning products:
http://www.gaiam.com/retail/gai_cont...article_id=513

One bleach use myth discounted:
http://www.moldinspector.com/bleach-...ctive-mold.htm

Same here, but specifies why its ineffective.
http://www.bleach-mold-myth.com/
IE porous material passes the water, but not the bleach. Wonder what
happens out in the wild with same material under similar conditions? For
instance dumping over groundcover whose basis is limestone rock beneath it.
--
Jonny

Old 12-05-2006, 12:52 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Even the "tree huggers" and environmentalists have trouble with identifying
this tree in Texas. There's no native cedar trees in Texas. These are
Junipers. They were brought to the hill country by accident. Similar to
the mesquite tree in its introduction to the state of Texas.

If you can find some old photographs of the area, you will find that no tree
grew here a hundred or more years ago. It was the Junipers that broke up
the native rock so further foliage could follow. These trees use alot of
water and contain it. Its needed both for both using root hydraulic
pressure to breakup the rocky area, and to tide it over during dry periods.
Its not an "evil tree", just thirsty so it can do the job its done so well
for over a century.

There are few things I don't like about Junipers. One is their root system
will find and attack any leaky plumbing, for instance your waste drain pipe.
Another, is they tend to choke out oak trees that may take root around it.

Not sure how he's getting away with dumping of "bluewater", maybe its
treated further. Dunno. I know he keeps his waste trucks there overnight.
His house is right across the street.
--
Jonny
"Kathleen" wrote in message
[...]

k.net...

Old 12-05-2006, 01:14 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Kathleen wrote:
These demonstrations I've been seeing the past few years are turning me into
a tree hugger! That is *REALLY* scary. ::wink::

I saw a similar demonstration at the Selah Bamberger ranch years ago.
When J. David bought this ranch, he had asked his realtor to find him
"the worse piece of land" in the hill country. It was infested with
cedar (junipers) and dry as a bone. He started clearing the cedar and
allow the native grasses to return. After a few years, springs that had
been dry for decades started coming back. It is now a gorgeous piece of
property that serves as a teaching tool. I highly recommend a trip.
http://www.bambergerranch.org/

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 12-05-2006, 10:54 PM posted to austin.gardening
charliekilo

nk.net...

Jonny wrote:

[...]

The author of that should include on the web page, "The Toxic Black Mold
Myth."

Old 13-05-2006, 03:43 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

I'm not an environmentalist wacko either, thanks, but IMO it's pretty safe
to say that dumping poison on the ground would be a *bad thing.* Probably
the guy is trying to kill mosquito larvae. Isn't it sad to kill whatever
else that lives there too.....

Cindy
___________________________

Old 13-05-2006, 01:33 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

What's even sadder is standing water doesn't stand that long in the hill
country. Except artificially created ponds by blocking runoff, and water
troughs for the animals.
--
Jonny
"Cindy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

raising pH with diluted household ammonia rose Edible Gardening 1 05-01-2004 04:32 PM
Bleach in a fountain? Rob Ponds 12 14-07-2003 12:32 PM
Bleach in a fountain? paghat Gardening 3 14-07-2003 12:32 PM
Bleach in a fountain? Rob Ponds 0 10-07-2003 11:22 PM
Does bleach affect plant roots? Dave United Kingdom 0 15-10-2002 01:10 PM