Old 11-05-2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Should a lawn be dug up, or not?

What zone? How big of an area?

In my area Z5b many lawns were lost to the drought last year (that BS
about never watering as the lawn will come back is well, BS).
Currently I see both reseeding bare spots and completely digging up and
reseeding. I haven't seen anyone go the sod route yet, but I've only
looked in a two block area. Eight new lawns or partial reseeding
going on. Looks like a minefield around here LOL. As for me, I'm
digging up and reseeding the parkways (corner house). Had 4 trees
removed, 6 put in and the lawn was a mess before hand. Much worse
afterwards. I'm starting from seed, not sod. In the fall the front
yard will probably be sodded. Getting kind of late to start from
seeds, but I lucked out with some extended cool/rainy weather. Now
to dig up another 4 or 5 wheelbarrows full of old tree roots on the
remaining section of the parkway.