Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Calvin

Default Q: Why are my tomatoe plant flowers falling off?

Otto Pylot wrote:
Most perplexing. For years we have always had no problem growing really
nice tomatoes. Two years ago we changed the physical location of our
garden to accommodate new landscaping. The vegetable garden did just
fine in it's new location except for the tomatoe plants. They grew fine
but just as the flowers started to open, they would fall off. We saw no
indication of any insects. Someone suggested that we had a virus in the
ground so we pulled up the plants, turned the ground, and then covered
it up with black tarp for the entire summer season. The idea was to
"naturally" sterilize the ground. This season, we dug out the area in
two circles, removed the soil and mixed in fresh planter mix with other
garden soil, and the enclosed the circular area with bender board. Each
circle was planted with healthy (assumingly so) starter plants. They
are growing quite nicely but as soon as the flowers start to open, they
fall off. Ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

What growing zone are you in? Have you had a soil analysis?
Have you fertilized with anything?

Way to many unanswered questions to make a call. Bottom line
is that your plants don't "think" that they are
healthy/mature enough to sustain fruit. Why? Don't know. Too
many questions that are unknowns at this point.

--
Steve