Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Calvin

Default Q: Why are my tomatoe plant flowers falling off?

Otto Pylot wrote:
Most perplexing. For years we have always had no problem growing really
nice tomatoes. Two years ago we changed the physical location of our
garden to accommodate new landscaping. The vegetable garden did just
fine in it's new location except for the tomatoe plants. They grew fine
but just as the flowers started to open, they would fall off. We saw no
indication of any insects. Someone suggested that we had a virus in the
ground so we pulled up the plants, turned the ground, and then covered
it up with black tarp for the entire summer season. The idea was to
"naturally" sterilize the ground. This season, we dug out the area in
two circles, removed the soil and mixed in fresh planter mix with other
garden soil, and the enclosed the circular area with bender board. Each
circle was planted with healthy (assumingly so) starter plants. They
are growing quite nicely but as soon as the flowers start to open, they
fall off. Ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

What growing zone are you in? Have you had a soil analysis?
Have you fertilized with anything?

Way to many unanswered questions to make a call. Bottom line
is that your plants don't "think" that they are
healthy/mature enough to sustain fruit. Why? Don't know. Too
many questions that are unknowns at this point.

--
Steve
Old 13-05-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Calvin

Otto Pylot wrote:

What growing zone are you in? Have you had a soil analysis?
Have you fertilized with anything?

San Jose, CA. No, we have not had a soil analysis. No fertilizer as of
yet. Just fresh planter mix from our local nursery mixed in with some
soil from the garden.

Barring soil problems then I'd "guess" that your plants just
aren't mature enough to support fruit yet. They know when
they are.

I put composted cow sh*t in every year and 'till it into the
soil. That seems to help a lot. But still, if it's too
early, the flowers drop.

--
Steve
Old 13-05-2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sue

On Fri, 12 May 2006 16:45:47 -0700, Otto Pylot
wrote:

In article , Steve Calvin
wrote:

Otto Pylot wrote:
[...]

I'm over here in Los Banos and my tomatoes have suffered from blossom
drop for the last 3 years. I have no idea why. Some say the heat but
they grow commercial tomatoes around here and my first year of growing
them was just great. There seem to be a goodly number of possible
reasons. Anyway, this year I've moved my tomatoes - about 8 blocks
from here to my gentleman friend's back yard. They are just starting
to blossom so it's too early to tell what's going to happen.
Sue

Old 13-05-2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carter

On Sat, 13 May 2006 17:30:06 GMT, Sue
wrote:

I'm over here in Los Banos and my tomatoes have suffered from blossom
drop for the last 3 years. I have no idea why. Some say the heat but
they grow commercial tomatoes around here and my first year of growing
them was just great.

I am on the side of those who blame heat. Some of the plant
hardiness zones here in Canada have been changed to reflect
global warming (the last frost date has been moved forward by a
week locally--near Ottawa).

You might try to buy a plant or two that are normally grown in
the deep south and see if these plants are able to set fruit.
Different types of tomatoes are able to tolerate more heat than
others. How are your neighbours' tomatoes?

As an aside...

I have a friend who lives in Kenya (right on the equator). There
is only one type of tomato that will grow in the country and that
only at high altitude.

The tomato growing season has already passed for those who live
in Florida.
Old 13-05-2006, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Garden Gnome

wrote:

I'm over here in Los Banos and my tomatoes have suffered from blossom
drop for the last 3 years. I have no idea why. Some say the heat but
they grow commercial tomatoes around here and my first year of growing
them was just great.

I am on the side of those who blame heat. Some of the plant
hardiness zones here in Canada have been changed to reflect
global warming (the last frost date has been moved forward by a
week locally--near Ottawa).

I'm Zone 6A Ontario. Our last frost date is May 9 but according to an
experienced cash crop farmer relative, I should hold off until May 15 to
put tomatoes in the ground. That's ok with me since they can get a head
start in the greenhouse. I didn't realize it was due to global warming
though. When I was young, the garden was supposed to be in by May 24
and I can't recall staggering planting either but maybe I just was too
young to notice. Now, some crops go in 4 weeks before the ADLF, some 2
weeks before, some on the ADLF and some 2 weeks after. Last year, I
didn't get anything in until almost the second week of June since the
experienced farmers were saying that's when to plant. I'm following
more of their advice since their livihood depends on success I figure
they know what they are talking about.

http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc

Old 13-05-2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carter

On Sat, 13 May 2006 15:07:41 -0400, Garden Gnome
wrote:

When I was young, the garden was supposed to be in by May 24
and I can't recall staggering planting either but maybe I just was too
young to notice. Now, some crops go in 4 weeks before the ADLF,

I would go with a date later than May 6. May 6 is AVERAGE date
of last frost. The farmers in my area are planting as early May
17, where May 24 used to be the accepted date. Department of
Agriculture points their finger at global warming. I looked up
their address a couple of years ago and they seemed pleased to
answer a question from a mere gardener, they even changed their
web site as a result of my question! immodest blush
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 13-05-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carter

On Sat, 13 May 2006 15:07:41 -0400, Garden Gnome
wrote:

I'm Zone 6A Ontario.

Ah, Hogtown. grin I am near the real hot air in Ottawa
(Perth).

We had a prolonged period when daily temperatures were around
30șC and my tomatoes were okay. Do you recall the temperature
there.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 13-05-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sue

wrote:

I'm over here in Los Banos and my tomatoes have suffered from blossom
drop for the last 3 years. I have no idea why. Some say the heat but
they grow commercial tomatoes around here and my first year of growing
them was just great.

I am on the side of those who blame heat. Some of the plant
hardiness zones here in Canada have been changed to reflect
global warming (the last frost date has been moved forward by a
week locally--near Ottawa).

You might try to buy a plant or two that are normally grown in
the deep south and see if these plants are able to set fruit.
Different types of tomatoes are able to tolerate more heat than
others. How are your neighbours' tomatoes?

I assume that anyone I know that grows tomatoes grows the same
varieties that I do, but we've never compared notes. The thing is
that one would think that the tomatoes wouldn't be for sale around
here if they aren't going to grow around here. Of course, Wal*Mart
may not care. I have pretty good luck with the Sweet 100s but what I
like to do is can which requires a lot of the medium or large sized
fruit. My first year I was able to do this. I'm growing the same
varieties - Beefsteak and Celebrity as well as the 100s. I don't have
a lot of space so only have 8 plants. I'm just hoping that things
work out better this year but I sure do have bug problems I've not had
before. Will save that for a separate thread.
Sue