Old 11-05-2006, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Moving house - transplanting pear tree

"NikV" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:
If you are really desperate, the
most likely way to move the tree alive is ask the new owner to let you
come back and collect it next winter.

This would ideally be the best, and safest option.

Sorry as I said in the OP not trying was not an option all other avenues
explored.

Well folks thanks for the advice the dirty deed has been done, got down
about 2 1/2 feet curled roots around new pot. Pot filled with 1" of
gravel covering the holes + 1" of sand/gravel mix, tree and shrub compost
and screened topsoil. When I originally planted it I used the curve back
of the pot to keep the roots from the comcrete slab. We selected a tree
which had been grown in the back of the pot to get close to the fence.

Its gets no sun where it is at the moment (apart from to leaves), its
getting watered twice a day and misted, dug up last sunday morning so four
and a half days so far, leaves are limp but after watering they are more
turgid.

http://www.nasuwt.net/~nikvenn/treemved.jpg

--

I would have used a much larger pot but it is looking good. The Misting is
probably the most important thing you can do at the moment. Make certain
that the plant is in a sheltered position preferably wind free and good
shade.
We want regular updates please:-)