Old 12-05-2006, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Should a lawn be dug up, or not?

sherwindu wrote:
This is zone 5, just NW of Chicago.

The lawn is a front yard about 40 feet by 25 feet. My neighbor has neglected it
for
several years, which includes not watering it last year. It's amazing that he
even has
any grass left, at all. His biggest problem are dandelions (also my problem, as
they
blow their seeds onto my lawn). The rest you already know.

Sherwin D.

I'm in a SW Chicago burb and if you're area is getting the same rains
we are the soil will be quite muddy right about now. The only quick
suggestion I could give yah is to at least cut the dandelion flowers
off, although most have most likely gone to seed. At this point of
the game you may want to wait until fall for the lawn, given the soil
may not be workable for another week or so. I'm in a bind on the
remaining parkway as the grass has already been dug up but the soil
hasn't been tilled (still way too many surface (tree) roots). No way
could I till the mud anyway but will at least try to seed and hope ma
nature doesn't through sunny skies and 90 degrees at us within the next
two weeks. I do have straw to throw over the seed to protect it
somewhat.