Old 12-05-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Composting rhubarb leaves

Mike wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves) and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

Cat(h)

compost the rhubarb stalks in a bowl of custard.

rob

compote ;-)

Sound advice all round. Yum yum.
A recipe I just saw in a Sunday paper last week end, and can't wait to
serve (I'm quoting from memory):

Trim and wash nice rhubarb stems.
Cut diagonally into 5cm lengths or so.
Put in shallow oven tray, generously sprinkled with sugar, roast for 20
mins till tender.
Serve with a generous scoop of very good quality vanilla ice cream.
*That's* going to be served this week end in my household.

Cat(h)