Old 13-05-2006, 12:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mac Cool

Default Should I fix this old Toro Riding Mower or buy a new one?

I have a 14 year old Toro/Wheelhorse XL 38" Mulching Rider. Overall the
tractor part is in very good condition. I bought it 3 years ago for $250.
The deck has rotted, is full of fist size holes and can't be welded or
riveted. A new deck is ~$300. So far I haven't found a used replacement
but I'm still looking.

I figure I've gotten my money's worth out of it and could probably sell it
for $50-100 but should I? Should I invest $300 in a 14 year old mower or
just buy a new one. I'm thinking of buying one of the John Deeres at Lowes
or Home Depot.

The only other niggling thing about this mower is that it's slow as hell.
I had another Wheelhorse that was one year older and it would pop
wheelies. The mower I have now will barely get me up the hill (I weigh
250lbs.). I don't know if it's an engine problem or the hydrostatic
transmission, which I believe was new that year.
--
Mac Cool