Old 13-05-2006, 12:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mac Cool

Default Should I fix this old Toro Riding Mower or buy a new one?

I have a 14 year old Toro/Wheelhorse XL 38" Mulching Rider. Overall the
tractor part is in very good condition. I bought it 3 years ago for $250.
The deck has rotted, is full of fist size holes and can't be welded or
riveted. A new deck is ~$300. So far I haven't found a used replacement
but I'm still looking.

I figure I've gotten my money's worth out of it and could probably sell it
for $50-100 but should I? Should I invest $300 in a 14 year old mower or
just buy a new one. I'm thinking of buying one of the John Deeres at Lowes
or Home Depot.

The only other niggling thing about this mower is that it's slow as hell.
I had another Wheelhorse that was one year older and it would pop
wheelies. The mower I have now will barely get me up the hill (I weigh
250lbs.). I don't know if it's an engine problem or the hydrostatic
transmission, which I believe was new that year.
--
Mac Cool
Old 13-05-2006, 01:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
paddy

Mac Cool wrote:
[...]

The only "John Deere" that is mad by John Deere are some of their
commericial mowers. What you see at the big box stores are not mad by
John Deere.
If you Toro is doing fine buy a 300.00 deck and use it for another 14
years. If it craps out afte only another 5 years you have made money.
Old 13-05-2006, 07:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

paddy wrote:
Mac Cool wrote:

[...]

I could not disagree more. He said "I've gotten my money's worth out of
it", "it's slow as hell", and "will barely get me up the hill". It makes
no sense to put $300 into it.

--
Art

ps. mad = angry, made = manufactured
Old 14-05-2006, 12:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mac Cool

paddy:
The only "John Deere" that is mad by John Deere are some of their
commericial mowers. What you see at the big box stores are not mad by
John Deere.

So your point is not to buy a John Deere? Do you have a reason for not
recommending John Deere other than John Deere contracting out the
manufacturing? Because I have heard many positive comments from John Deere
owners and read a few in this group.

If I end up replacing the Toro what brand would you recommend for under
$1700? Personally I am a Toro fan but comparing mowers under $2500, the
John Deere seems much sturdier than anything else.

Thanks,
--
Mac Cool
Old 14-05-2006, 04:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mac Cool

Artemis:

paddy wrote:
If you Toro is doing fine buy a 300.00 deck and use it for another
14 years. If it craps out afte only another 5 years you have made
money.

I could not disagree more. He said "I've gotten my money's worth out
of it", "it's slow as hell", and "will barely get me up the hill". It
makes no sense to put $300 into it.

Yeah, I think I've gotten my moneys worth. Today I got someone to take a
good look at it and it's either a loose drive belt or the hydrostatic
transmission is shot. Tomorrow I'm going to replace the belt. If that
doesn't fix it then it isn't worth a new transmission + new deck.

Any comments on Craftsman Riding Mowers?
--
Mac Cool

Old 14-05-2006, 05:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
paddy

Mac Cool wrote:
paddy:
The only "John Deere" that is mad by John Deere are some of their
commericial mowers. What you see at the big box stores are not mad by
John Deere.

So your point is not to buy a John Deere? Do you have a reason for not
recommending John Deere other than John Deere contracting out the
manufacturing? Because I have heard many positive comments from John Deere
owners and read a few in this group.

If I end up replacing the Toro what brand would you recommend for under
$1700? Personally I am a Toro fan but comparing mowers under $2500, the
John Deere seems much sturdier than anything else.

Thanks,

"John Deere" mowers are a benchmark but I haven't seen any of them at
the Big Box Stores.
It'll cost you somewhat more but by all means buy one at a "John Deere"
dealer.
He didn't say the rest of the machine was going down hill.
It's purely a guessing game for me to say whether it is time to replace
or just repair from here.
As far as the Craftsman it may be nearly or exactly the same machine as
the john deere at the Big Box store with just a different paint job.
If you compare the brands at side to side you may see the same deck on
different machines, same machines with different paint, or combinations.
The Lawn Mower Manufacturers have been bought and sold too many times
for me to keep track of. I understand Briggs and Stratton owns several
lines now including Snapper and Simplicity. That may have changed. Many
of them don't or didn't even have Briggs and Stratton engines.
Old 18-05-2006, 01:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike

Mac Cool wrote:

[...]

My lawn mower repair guy is big on Toro and Honda. John Deere has 2
grades: commercial and consumer. I'd only get a JD commercial grade.

My Honda self propelled literally started on the first pull this spring!

AFAIK Toro puts commercial grade engines in their mowers.

Considering the hassle of taking a rider in for service (unless you have
a utility grailer), I'd think it would be worth a little extra money to
get a good unit.