Old 12-05-2006, 10:54 PM posted to austin.gardening
charliekilo

Default Household bleach

"Jonny" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote in message

Jonny wrote:

Frequent the local dollar store here in Wimberley. The store has cases
and
cases of household bleach stacked inside the store. Noticed a few folks
were buying the bleach by the case (6 gallon containers in a case).
Curious, I asked one person why so much bleach. He said he is using to
pour
undiluted in standing water areas on his land. Made me curious.

What is this doing to:
-the water table
-local flora
-animals and insects that drink this bleach water
-long term affects
???
--
Jonny

Jonny,
Before we go reporting this guy to "someone" it would be advisable to do
search to see what the bleach will do to the environment. I'm not saying
that
he hasn't already done so and knows what he is doing, but maybe he does
know
what he is doing. Mind you, I am not an environmentalist wacko, even
though I
have gone organic in my vegetable patch at home, the yard and flower
beds. On
the other hand, at times the organic way does not work and one has to
turn to
other means of fixin' things, and that does not mean that I have no
concern or
care for the environment. There is ALWAYS a happy medium to all
problems, and
maybe, just maybe that is what this guy found. Let's not jump to
conclusions
and go to the extremes.

Ray
South Austin
===

Okay. Chlorine tablets can be backflushed into a well. This is known as
"shocking the well". Normally done if the well has developed bacterial
health hazards in the well pocket.
Here's similar using sodium hypochlorate (household bleach) when
abandoning and sealing off a well.
http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/2000/ic000114.html
http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1994.htm
Scroll down to the "Should I drink tap water header":
http://www.sportsdoctor.com/chg/environment.html

Household chlorine bleach is classified as hazardous waste. At least this
site says so:
http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/ext...m/he368_3.html

The manufacturers of the household bleach product are not required to
disclose its contents, only some hazards.

Some "green" cleaning products:
http://www.gaiam.com/retail/gai_cont...article_id=513

One bleach use myth discounted:
http://www.moldinspector.com/bleach-...ctive-mold.htm

The author of that should include on the web page, "The Toxic Black Mold
Myth."

Same here, but specifies why its ineffective.
http://www.bleach-mold-myth.com/
IE porous material passes the water, but not the bleach. Wonder what
happens out in the wild with same material under similar conditions? For
instance dumping over groundcover whose basis is limestone rock beneath
it.
--
Jonny