Old 13-05-2006, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Default Should a lawn be dug up, or not?

You wouldn't believe how many dandelions are in his lawn. Removing each one
is an option, but not a pleasant one.

Doug Kanter wrote:

Based on location, it's approaching the tail end of the best time for
starting grass, which would be MY first choice. If it works, it's much
cheaper than sod. But, it would require cultivating the soil and weeding,
followed by judicious watering. Grass seed should be kept moist pretty much
all the time. Another option would be to use that fluffy stuff - the mulch
mixed with seed that you see road crews use after construction. As far as
the dandelions, if you wait 24 hours after a good rain or watering, they're
not so hard to remove by hand, if you have the right tool.

I'd avoid chemicals entirely, but that's just me. That crap goes into the
ground, and into someone's water eventually. Not "no place", as some
believe.

"sherwindu" wrote in message
This is zone 5, just NW of Chicago.

The lawn is a front yard about 40 feet by 25 feet. My neighbor has
neglected it
for
several years, which includes not watering it last year. It's amazing
that he
even has
any grass left, at all. His biggest problem are dandelions (also my
problem, as
they
blow their seeds onto my lawn). The rest you already know.

Sherwin D.

wrote:

What zone? How big of an area?

In my area Z5b many lawns were lost to the drought last year (that BS
about never watering as the lawn will come back is well, BS).
Currently I see both reseeding bare spots and completely digging up and
reseeding. I haven't seen anyone go the sod route yet, but I've only
looked in a two block area. Eight new lawns or partial reseeding
going on. Looks like a minefield around here LOL. As for me, I'm
digging up and reseeding the parkways (corner house). Had 4 trees
removed, 6 put in and the lawn was a mess before hand. Much worse
afterwards. I'm starting from seed, not sod. In the fall the front
yard will probably be sodded. Getting kind of late to start from
seeds, but I lucked out with some extended cool/rainy weather. Now
to dig up another 4 or 5 wheelbarrows full of old tree roots on the
remaining section of the parkway.