Old 13-05-2006, 06:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Default Should a lawn be dug up, or not?

Thanks for your extensive and informative reply.

Don't worry about the dandelion seeds blowing your way... you've already

got a 75 year supply or so in your soil, waiting to germinate.

That sound pretty scary, like a bomb ready to go off if I slip up on lawn maintenance.

Keep your
lawn in good condition (mow properly, overseed, fertilize and lime as
needed), and you don't have to worry. The big secret to weed prevention
is canopy closure. You could spread 5 lbs of weed seeds on an established,
well-taken-care-of lawn with good, dense sod and really not have to worry.

I like to think that my lawn is well taken care of, but I still have to do a morning patrol

and pull a handful of dandelions, some days worse than others.

Thanks also to hob for his lengthy reply,

Sherwin D.