Old 13-05-2006, 07:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

Default Should I fix this old Toro Riding Mower or buy a new one?

paddy wrote:
Mac Cool wrote:

I have a 14 year old Toro/Wheelhorse XL 38" Mulching Rider. Overall
the tractor part is in very good condition. I bought it 3 years ago
for $250. The deck has rotted, is full of fist size holes and can't be
welded or riveted. A new deck is ~$300. So far I haven't found a used
replacement but I'm still looking.

I figure I've gotten my money's worth out of it and could probably
sell it for $50-100 but should I? Should I invest $300 in a 14 year
old mower or just buy a new one. I'm thinking of buying one of the
John Deeres at Lowes or Home Depot.

The only other niggling thing about this mower is that it's slow as
hell. I had another Wheelhorse that was one year older and it would
pop wheelies. The mower I have now will barely get me up the hill (I
weigh 250lbs.). I don't know if it's an engine problem or the
hydrostatic transmission, which I believe was new that year.

The only "John Deere" that is mad by John Deere are some of their
commericial mowers. What you see at the big box stores are not mad by
John Deere.
If you Toro is doing fine buy a 300.00 deck and use it for another 14
years. If it craps out afte only another 5 years you have made money.

I could not disagree more. He said "I've gotten my money's worth out of
it", "it's slow as hell", and "will barely get me up the hill". It makes
no sense to put $300 into it.

--
Art

ps. mad = angry, made = manufactured