Old 13-05-2006, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default War against Lily Beetles resumes

Sue wrote:
What they tend to do if they sense imminent danger (e.g. irate gardener
approaching), is to drop off the plant and onto their backs on the soil,
which makes them difficult to spot again. So what I do is hold something
like a trowel or pot saucer underneath, knock them into it, and then
quickly do the murderous deed by squishing with a stone before they can
fly away.

I've never tried this but I'm getting very interested with it: burning
them. Instead of using chemical of biological means of control, we
apparently can regulate the insects (and animals, though not cats or
dogs I'd imagine) from within it's own species. Take the insects and
burn them in a wood fire and then the ash can be 'dynamised' by
grinding it and then mixed in water and then spray. I don't know about
this. As someone done it here? But I think I'm going to have a go. The
best results sound a bit 'voodooish' to me, but we're supposed to burn
them on the site we've found the pests. Hmmmm...