Old 13-05-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default War against Lily Beetles resumes

Welcome warm sunshine here in E. Angular seems to have brought rather
more unwelcome lily beetles out of hiding. I've squished at least a
dozen so far even though they seem to see me creeping up on them and
keep trying to do a fast shuffle to hide on the underside of the leaves.
:-/

--
Sue

Old 13-05-2006, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ade

"Sue" wrote ...
Welcome warm sunshine here in E. Angular seems to have brought rather
more unwelcome lily beetles out of hiding. I've squished at least a
dozen so far even though they seem to see me creeping up on them and
keep trying to do a fast shuffle to hide on the underside of the leaves.

I've also seen loads of red lily beetles in my garden this past couple of
weeks, on all kinds of plants such as tulips, fatsia and zantedescia.
However, I've also noticed a lack of greenfly on my honeysuckle (touch
wood), which is normally covered with them.

Old 13-05-2006, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Sue wrote:
Welcome warm sunshine here in E. Angular seems to have brought rather
more unwelcome lily beetles out of hiding. I've squished at least a
dozen so far even though they seem to see me creeping up on them and
keep trying to do a fast shuffle to hide on the underside of the
leaves. :-/

I've gottem too. My dad, used to just squish 'em with his
fingers....yuk....I can't do that. What's the best way to deal with them?
--
London meet 2006
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/meet2006/meet2006

Old 13-05-2006, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Sue wrote:
Welcome warm sunshine here in E. Angular seems to have brought rather
more unwelcome lily beetles out of hiding. I've squished at least a
dozen so far even though they seem to see me creeping up on them and
keep trying to do a fast shuffle to hide on the underside of the
leaves. :-/

I've gottem too. My dad, used to just squish 'em with his
fingers....yuk....I can't do that. What's the best way to deal with them?

--
London meet 2006
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/meet2006/meet2006
ßôyþëtë

The best means of control is vigilance. Being bright scarlet does give you a
reasonable chance of spotting them particularly as they spend a reasonable
amount of time on the top of leaves sunbathing.
Remove anything that looks a bit like lumps of bird droppings-these are the
lily beetle grubs.
I can not advise on the best methods of execution:-)

Old 13-05-2006, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"BoyPete" wrote
Sue wrote:
Welcome warm sunshine here in E. Angular seems to have brought rather
more unwelcome lily beetles out of hiding. I've squished at least a
dozen so far even though they seem to see me creeping up on them and
keep trying to do a fast shuffle to hide on the underside of the
leaves. :-/

I've gottem too. My dad, used to just squish 'em with his
fingers....yuk....I can't do that. What's the best way to deal with
them?

What they tend to do if they sense imminent danger (e.g. irate gardener
approaching), is to drop off the plant and onto their backs on the soil,
which makes them difficult to spot again. So what I do is hold something
like a trowel or pot saucer underneath, knock them into it, and then
quickly do the murderous deed by squishing with a stone before they can
fly away.

--
Sue

Old 13-05-2006, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sue wrote:
What they tend to do if they sense imminent danger (e.g. irate gardener
approaching), is to drop off the plant and onto their backs on the soil,
which makes them difficult to spot again. So what I do is hold something
like a trowel or pot saucer underneath, knock them into it, and then
quickly do the murderous deed by squishing with a stone before they can
fly away.

I've never tried this but I'm getting very interested with it: burning
them. Instead of using chemical of biological means of control, we
apparently can regulate the insects (and animals, though not cats or
dogs I'd imagine) from within it's own species. Take the insects and
burn them in a wood fire and then the ash can be 'dynamised' by
grinding it and then mixed in water and then spray. I don't know about
this. As someone done it here? But I think I'm going to have a go. The
best results sound a bit 'voodooish' to me, but we're supposed to burn
them on the site we've found the pests. Hmmmm...

Old 14-05-2006, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"BoyPete" wrote
Sue wrote:
[...]

Try a black umbrella:-) that's what the RHS recommend for Vine weevils.
You should know if your lily beetles are upset because they squeak .Hear it
here.
http://www.uksafari.com/lilybeetles.htm

Old 14-05-2006, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
Try a black umbrella:-) that's what the RHS recommend for Vine weevils.
You should know if your lily beetles are upset because they squeak .Hear it
here.
http://www.uksafari.com/lilybeetles.htm

How trully bizarre ) When I was a kid I used to collect them - we
call them 'soldat' in France, not sure why but I used to end up with
yellow fingers from touching them all the time.

Old 14-05-2006, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

Try a black umbrella:-) that's what the RHS recommend for Vine weevils.

Aren't vine weevils somewhat camouflaged against a black umbrella?
Wouldn't a red one be better?

--
Kay
Old 14-05-2006, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"Sue" wrote
What they tend to do if they sense imminent danger (e.g. irate
gardener approaching), is to drop off the plant and onto their backs
on the soil, which makes them difficult to spot again. So what I do
is hold something like a trowel or pot saucer underneath, knock them
into it, and then quickly do the murderous deed by squishing with a
stone before they can fly away.

Try a black umbrella:-) that's what the RHS recommend for Vine
weevils.

Geddaway with you. What're you supposed to do with it, stab them with
the poisoned tip?

You should know if your lily beetles are upset because they squeak.
Hear it here. http://www.uksafari.com/lilybeetles.htm

They can squeak all they like, but to save my lilies I shall harden my
heart and persevere with the stone squishing method.
Wee-vil.. wee-vil.. rock you.

--
Sue

Old 14-05-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Janet Baraclough" wrote ...
after "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
The best means of control is vigilance. Being bright scarlet does give
you a
reasonable chance of spotting them (snip ramblings)

Why are you bright scarlet?

Anger?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-05-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Ade" wrote ...
"Sue" wrote ...
Welcome warm sunshine here in E. Angular seems to have brought rather
more unwelcome lily beetles out of hiding. I've squished at least a
dozen so far even though they seem to see me creeping up on them and
keep trying to do a fast shuffle to hide on the underside of the leaves.

I've also seen loads of red lily beetles in my garden this past couple of
weeks, on all kinds of plants such as tulips, fatsia and zantedescia.
However, I've also noticed a lack of greenfly on my honeysuckle (touch
wood), which is normally covered with them.

Yes, lots here have been tapped on the head with my size 11s.
Found them on my Dogs Tooth Violets very early on this year. Never seen them
on those before.
Perhaps they are widening their tastes. :-(

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-05-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

Try a black umbrella:-) that's what the RHS recommend for Vine weevils.

Aren't vine weevils somewhat camouflaged against a black umbrella?
Wouldn't a red one be better?

--
Kay

Not for the weevil. Any road everyone has a black umbrella which fits neatly
beneath any plant:-)

Old 15-05-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

The best means of control is vigilance. Being bright scarlet does give
you a
reasonable chance of spotting them (snip ramblings)

Why are you bright scarlet?

Cos it's on the way towards wearing purple

Janet