Old 14-05-2006, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default War against Lily Beetles resumes

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"BoyPete" wrote
Sue wrote:
Welcome warm sunshine here in E. Angular seems to have brought rather
more unwelcome lily beetles out of hiding. I've squished at least a
dozen so far even though they seem to see me creeping up on them and
keep trying to do a fast shuffle to hide on the underside of the
leaves. :-/

I've gottem too. My dad, used to just squish 'em with his
fingers....yuk....I can't do that. What's the best way to deal with
them?

What they tend to do if they sense imminent danger (e.g. irate gardener
approaching), is to drop off the plant and onto their backs on the soil,
which makes them difficult to spot again. So what I do is hold something
like a trowel or pot saucer underneath, knock them into it, and then
quickly do the murderous deed by squishing with a stone before they can
fly away.

--
Sue

Try a black umbrella:-) that's what the RHS recommend for Vine weevils.
You should know if your lily beetles are upset because they squeak .Hear it
here.
http://www.uksafari.com/lilybeetles.htm