Old 14-05-2006, 10:13 AM
DerbyshireDales DerbyshireDales is offline
Registered User

Unhappy Dying Cordyline

Hi
We replanted a cordyline 2 weeks ago taken from our neighbours garden over the road. Our soil is no different to our neighbours and the new location is south facing, similar to the old. It is about 4 feet tall with 2 foot long leaves extending and was in good condition when we planted it except that the roots were tiny. There were lots of them but non were longer than 2 inches so we planted it to a depth of about 18 inches to cover all these thin and short roots. We watered it in heavily but the same evening the plant started to bend near the top and the leaves all started to droop. We have supported it with some twine but its only getting worse and the leaves are loosing their green and have brown tips. My mother is sure we should be watering it everyday with about 3 buckets of water. We thought that might waterlog it so it has had 3 doses of my mothers watering and we've given it a bucket on a couple more occasions spread over the 2 weeks. Its on a the top of a steep bank (heading down to the road) with shrubs of equal size on each side but open to the bank side and garden side. Can anybody advise what we can do to save this mature plant as it is clearly not surviving? Many Thanks
E & S