Old 14-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Registered User

Unhappy Dying Cordyline

Hi
We replanted a cordyline 2 weeks ago taken from our neighbours garden over the road. Our soil is no different to our neighbours and the new location is south facing, similar to the old. It is about 4 feet tall with 2 foot long leaves extending and was in good condition when we planted it except that the roots were tiny. There were lots of them but non were longer than 2 inches so we planted it to a depth of about 18 inches to cover all these thin and short roots. We watered it in heavily but the same evening the plant started to bend near the top and the leaves all started to droop. We have supported it with some twine but its only getting worse and the leaves are loosing their green and have brown tips. My mother is sure we should be watering it everyday with about 3 buckets of water. We thought that might waterlog it so it has had 3 doses of my mothers watering and we've given it a bucket on a couple more occasions spread over the 2 weeks. Its on a the top of a steep bank (heading down to the road) with shrubs of equal size on each side but open to the bank side and garden side. Can anybody advise what we can do to save this mature plant as it is clearly not surviving? Many Thanks
E & S
Old 14-05-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Default Dying Cordyline

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from DerbyshireDales
contains these words:

[...]

The leaves are doomed anyway and putting too much stress on the
minimal roots. Saw the trunk off about 6" above ground level. With
luck, new shoots will develop next year, and you'll have a mutistemmed
cordyline. One I did the same way last summer (also dug up from
neighbour's garden) has three new shoots from the base atm.

Janet.

Ouch!! Isn't that a bit drastic at this stage?? I've transplanted a Cordy a
couple of times without too much trouble. I'd support it with a stout stake
either side, a foot or so away, and a cross piece at the height where the
leaves start. Secure the trunk to the crosspiece. A good soaking with a
bucket once a week should be fine. One time when mine looked poorly, I fed
it seaweed extract once a week...........seemed to work.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 14-05-2006, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"DerbyshireDales" wrote in
message news

[...]

Rather than soaking the roots and possibly drowning them, i.e
forcing all the oxygen out of the cavities adjacent to the roots,
shade the plant from the sun as much as possible, and keep the
foliage moist with regular spraying to prevent as much
transpiration loss as possible. If you cover it with
thick black polythene this should create a humid atmosphere
which will reduce transpiration. At the moment water
is simply been pulled out of it into the atmosphere.
Most plants, I'm not sure about cordylines transpire through stomata
in the underside of the leaves. So spray there as well. That's
what keeps plants rigid, a solid column of water being drawn
from the roots and transpiring or evaporating through the
leaves all the time. Cutting back the rate of transpiration
and evaporation should reduce stress on the plant until it
has the chance to develop more roots. Keep the stake as it is.

As presumably anything more drastic might disturb good neighbourly
relations. At least this way you're showing you're doing all
you can.

This time of year probably isn't ideal for transplanting either.

Also, ideally you want the soil moist under the roots so they
will go in search of moisture there, rather than simply
flooding the surface. As the roots need oxygen as well.

So cover it up, and get it out of the sun and into a humid atmosphere
so it stops losing so much moisture.

You could maybe uncover it in the evenings for a few hours,
when its really cool, to give it some air.

michael adams

Old 14-05-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "BoyPete" contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from DerbyshireDales
contains these words:

Not , IME, once a transplant has reached the "drooping head and
leaves turned brown" stage.
Did yours have those symptoms and still recover?

No, it transplanted quite well. It suffered from pale leaves and brown ends
at a later date.
--

ßôyþëtë

cordyline dying PAULKELLY United Kingdom 3 09-04-2009 10:58 AM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
cordyline and lillies Ruth Mercer United Kingdom 0 23-04-2003 03:47 PM
Cordyline Chris Stewart United Kingdom 4 17-11-2002 11:28 PM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM