Old 14-05-2006, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Pampas grass

On Sat, 13 May 2006 21:24:57 +0100, "BoyPete"
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"BoyPete" writes:

I've just planted a couple of these, about 1ft. tall. Can anyone
give me an idea of growth rate please. Ta

It depends on the conditions, and whether they are dwarf varieties or
not. If not, and in full sun and fertile soil, expect them to get to
1-2 metres across and 1+ high in a few years, and more in due course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mmm, can it be confined to less that that by pruning?

Pruning is hardly the right word (much too mild a term!), but I see no
reason why it shouldn't be contained, provided you hack away a large
part of it, _including_the_roots_, every couple of years or so. IME
they expand outwards from the centre, which ages, deteriorates and
eventually dies, leaving you with a doughnut type of growth structure.
Make sure you leave some of the actively growing outside edge or you
may lose it altogether.

--
Chris