Old 13-05-2006, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Default Pampas grass

I've just planted a couple of these, about 1ft. tall. Can anyone give me an
idea of growth rate please. Ta
--
London meet 2006
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/meet2006/meet2006

Old 13-05-2006, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BoyPete" writes:

| I've just planted a couple of these, about 1ft. tall. Can anyone give me an
| idea of growth rate please. Ta

It depends on the conditions, and whether they are dwarf varieties or
not. If not, and in full sun and fertile soil, expect them to get to
1-2 metres across and 1+ high in a few years, and more in due course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-05-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"BoyPete" writes:

I've just planted a couple of these, about 1ft. tall. Can anyone
give me an idea of growth rate please. Ta

It depends on the conditions, and whether they are dwarf varieties or
not. If not, and in full sun and fertile soil, expect them to get to
1-2 metres across and 1+ high in a few years, and more in due course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mmm, can it be confined to less that that by pruning?

Old 13-05-2006, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BoyPete" writes:

| I've just planted a couple of these, about 1ft. tall. Can anyone
| give me an idea of growth rate please. Ta
|
| It depends on the conditions, and whether they are dwarf varieties or
| not. If not, and in full sun and fertile soil, expect them to get to
| 1-2 metres across and 1+ high in a few years, and more in due course.
|
| Mmm, can it be confined to less that that by pruning?

Effectively not. It sounds as if you are one of the many people who
have planted them in a space that is too small. It is a common error.
They are very attractive plants, but not ones for a small garden.
Sorry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-05-2006, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"BoyPete" writes:

I've just planted a couple of these, about 1ft. tall. Can anyone
give me an idea of growth rate please. Ta

It depends on the conditions, and whether they are dwarf varieties
or not. If not, and in full sun and fertile soil, expect them to
get to 1-2 metres across and 1+ high in a few years, and more in
due course.

Mmm, can it be confined to less that that by pruning?

Effectively not. It sounds as if you are one of the many people who
have planted them in a space that is too small. It is a common error.
They are very attractive plants, but not ones for a small garden.
Sorry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes, you're right there Nick. I guess I'll have to bear the consequences of
my ignorance. Thanks for your replies.

Old 13-05-2006, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"BoyPete" writes:

[...]

All is not lost. You could try root barrier as used to contain bamboo or
plant it in a large plastic pot and sink that in the ground.
It is a Hooligan and if you let it get out of control then you will need
vast amounts of muscle power to eradicate it.

Old 13-05-2006, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Effectively not. It sounds as if you are one of the many people who
have planted them in a space that is too small. It is a common error.
They are very attractive plants, but not ones for a small garden.
Sorry.

I took mine out last week end from a raised bed I had made. For a
couple of years it looked great, hide the couple of bins I had but then
started to cover everything with its long leaves and threaten my prized
Astrantia (one's from Mr Diarmuid). I thought it would take ages to
take out - I had even booked my husband to help but I removed it with
no problem and composted it. I'd immagine a couple of more years and I
would have had to book a GCB or some other contraption )

Old 14-05-2006, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Geoff

I've just planted a couple of these, about 1ft. tall. Can anyone
give me an
idea of growth rate please.

'Tis wonderful of you to give such a home one day to hundreds of
snails - just make sure you do not give them a nearby food source you
are hoping to keep!! It's a good way of attracting and feeding
thrushes though.

Old 14-05-2006, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 13 May 2006 21:24:57 +0100, "BoyPete"
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"BoyPete" writes:

I've just planted a couple of these, about 1ft. tall. Can anyone
give me an idea of growth rate please. Ta

It depends on the conditions, and whether they are dwarf varieties or
not. If not, and in full sun and fertile soil, expect them to get to
1-2 metres across and 1+ high in a few years, and more in due course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mmm, can it be confined to less that that by pruning?

Pruning is hardly the right word (much too mild a term!), but I see no
reason why it shouldn't be contained, provided you hack away a large
part of it, _including_the_roots_, every couple of years or so. IME
they expand outwards from the centre, which ages, deteriorates and
eventually dies, leaving you with a doughnut type of growth structure.
Make sure you leave some of the actively growing outside edge or you
may lose it altogether.

--
Chris

Old 15-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg
IME
they expand outwards from the centre, which ages, deteriorates and
eventually dies, leaving you with a doughnut type of growth structure.
Make sure you leave some of the actively growing outside edge or you
may lose it altogether.
I saw a garden recently where someone had built a substantial pond with a paved walkway around it ... in the middle of their pampas grass.

Is pampas grass possible in NE facing garden? Louise United Kingdom 2 07-03-2003 06:49 AM
Pampas grass what do we do with it? code_wrong United Kingdom 6 04-03-2003 09:36 PM
Can Pampas Grass cuttings be put in compost? [email protected] United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 08:10 AM
Pampas Grass Michael United Kingdom 2 29-11-2002 10:53 PM
Pampas Grass Barry Watts United Kingdom 3 08-11-2002 11:27 AM