Old 14-05-2006, 05:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
paddy

Default Should I fix this old Toro Riding Mower or buy a new one?

Mac Cool wrote:
paddy:
The only "John Deere" that is mad by John Deere are some of their
commericial mowers. What you see at the big box stores are not mad by
John Deere.

So your point is not to buy a John Deere? Do you have a reason for not
recommending John Deere other than John Deere contracting out the
manufacturing? Because I have heard many positive comments from John Deere
owners and read a few in this group.

If I end up replacing the Toro what brand would you recommend for under
$1700? Personally I am a Toro fan but comparing mowers under $2500, the
John Deere seems much sturdier than anything else.

Thanks,

"John Deere" mowers are a benchmark but I haven't seen any of them at
the Big Box Stores.
It'll cost you somewhat more but by all means buy one at a "John Deere"
dealer.
He didn't say the rest of the machine was going down hill.
It's purely a guessing game for me to say whether it is time to replace
or just repair from here.
As far as the Craftsman it may be nearly or exactly the same machine as
the john deere at the Big Box store with just a different paint job.
If you compare the brands at side to side you may see the same deck on
different machines, same machines with different paint, or combinations.
The Lawn Mower Manufacturers have been bought and sold too many times
for me to keep track of. I understand Briggs and Stratton owns several
lines now including Snapper and Simplicity. That may have changed. Many
of them don't or didn't even have Briggs and Stratton engines.