Old 14-05-2006, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default War against Lily Beetles resumes

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"Sue" wrote
What they tend to do if they sense imminent danger (e.g. irate
gardener approaching), is to drop off the plant and onto their backs
on the soil, which makes them difficult to spot again. So what I do
is hold something like a trowel or pot saucer underneath, knock them
into it, and then quickly do the murderous deed by squishing with a
stone before they can fly away.

Try a black umbrella:-) that's what the RHS recommend for Vine
weevils.

Geddaway with you. What're you supposed to do with it, stab them with
the poisoned tip?

You should know if your lily beetles are upset because they squeak.
Hear it here. http://www.uksafari.com/lilybeetles.htm

They can squeak all they like, but to save my lilies I shall harden my
heart and persevere with the stone squishing method.
Wee-vil.. wee-vil.. rock you.

--
Sue