Old 15-05-2006, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default Composting rhubarb leaves - Aphid Spray

Cat(h) wrote:

Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves) and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

Cat(h)

[snipped]

Below the handy recipes for the stalks there is handy Aphid spray
instruction using the leaves (although not for edible plants).

http://www.plantea.com/rhubarb.htm
http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html

I've not found any research on this but in past years I've rotted down
the leaves in a barrel with outflow tap and filled it with water. Leave
it all to rot down over several months and use as a green feed. If
anyone does this, please don't put the barrel near to townfolk's housing
as they'll think you are keeping livestock, what with the special
'farmyard' smell that comes from the rotting.

Richard.

--
Two updates tools for 3D Studio Max
http://www.kdbanglia.com/maxtools.html