Old 15-05-2006, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bush honeysuckle

greengrass writes

I'm in pennsylvania u.s.a.. I have bush honeysuckle growing in my yard
kill most if it but let some of it grow as it has a pleasant fragrance
in the spring. I just read that it's considered an invasive plant from
europe and asia. do any of you let this stuff grow wild in your
landscape? It pretty much takes care of itself.

Not sure what you mean by a 'bush honeysuckle' - our native is a
climbing plant, although there are many species of honeysuckles which
are in a bush form. Our honeysuckle is a welcome sight in woodlands and
hedges in the early summer.

If something is a native UK plant, it's not a matter of 'letting it grow
wild' - the choice is not up to us - it is there in the landscape in
greater or lesser abundance, and it will grow, unless strenuous efforts
are made to get rid of it (1)

Secondly, plants which are 'invasive' aren't usually so in their native
habitat - it's when they are exported that they may become so (although
only a small proportion of imported species become invasive.)
Honeysuckle isn't invasive - it grows in balance with the other plants
around it, and isn't usually regarded as a weed.

(1) some species have a restricted habitat, and if the habitat is
destroyed, then the species will disappear, but honeysuckle has a pretty
wide tolerance.
--
Kay