Old 15-05-2006, 12:52 AM
Registered User

Default bush honeysuckle

I'm in pennsylvania u.s.a.. I have bush honeysuckle growing in my yard I kill most if it but let some of it grow as it has a pleasant fragrance in the spring. I just read that it's considered an invasive plant from europe and asia. do any of you let this stuff grow wild in your landscape? It pretty much takes care of itself.
Old 15-05-2006, 05:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"greengrass" wrote in message

I'm in pennsylvania u.s.a.. I have bush honeysuckle growing in my yard I
kill most if it but let some of it grow as it has a pleasant fragrance
in the spring. I just read that it's considered an invasive plant from
europe and asia. do any of you let this stuff grow wild in your
landscape? It pretty much takes care of itself.
greengrass

There are several types of honeysuckle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeysuckle

The type that grows wild here in Europe is not that invasive,
Jenny

Old 15-05-2006, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:
There are several types of honeysuckle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeysuckle
The type that grows wild here in Europe is not that invasive,

Interesting that really - the OP refers to 'spring smell' and perhaps
the spring flowering one (which sadly I have not knowing when it would
flower when I was given it) is invasive?! I find the summer flowering
one more scented in any cases, quite delicious in the summer evenings
wouldn't you say )

Old 15-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered User

Lightbulb

Try visiting http://www.homeandgardening.co.uk/plantprofiles.htm they offer some great profiles of plants. Great advice on growing and propagatng many plants.
Old 15-05-2006, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

greengrass writes

I'm in pennsylvania u.s.a.. I have bush honeysuckle growing in my yard
kill most if it but let some of it grow as it has a pleasant fragrance
in the spring. I just read that it's considered an invasive plant from
europe and asia. do any of you let this stuff grow wild in your
landscape? It pretty much takes care of itself.

Not sure what you mean by a 'bush honeysuckle' - our native is a
climbing plant, although there are many species of honeysuckles which
are in a bush form. Our honeysuckle is a welcome sight in woodlands and
hedges in the early summer.

If something is a native UK plant, it's not a matter of 'letting it grow
wild' - the choice is not up to us - it is there in the landscape in
greater or lesser abundance, and it will grow, unless strenuous efforts
are made to get rid of it (1)

Secondly, plants which are 'invasive' aren't usually so in their native
habitat - it's when they are exported that they may become so (although
only a small proportion of imported species become invasive.)
Honeysuckle isn't invasive - it grows in balance with the other plants
around it, and isn't usually regarded as a weed.

(1) some species have a restricted habitat, and if the habitat is
destroyed, then the species will disappear, but honeysuckle has a pretty
wide tolerance.
--
Kay

Old 16-05-2006, 02:24 AM
Registered User

the sienctific name is lonicera x .spp originally from europe eastern asia and japan which one first? I kind of like it. just wanna know if any you guys grow it,
Old 16-05-2006, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

greengrass wrote:
the sienctific name is lonicera x .spp originally from europe eastern
asia and japan which one first? I kind of like it. just wanna know if
any you guys grow it,

Lonicera x .spp, spp is for the species such as periclymenum or
caprifolium or purpusii etc. Mine I don't know as it was given to me.
It's a spring flowering one, sadly and here is a picture of it in
summer (berries) and in spring, now )

http://cjoint.com/?fqlKZyemnB
http://cjoint.com/?fqlO3QydJY

Old 16-05-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

greengrass writes

K Wrote:

Not sure what you mean by a 'bush honeysuckle' - our native is a
climbing plant, although there are many species of honeysuckles which
are in a bush form. Our honeysuckle is a welcome sight in woodlands
and

hedges in the early summer.

the sienctific name is lonicera x .spp originally from europe eastern
asia and japan which one first? I kind of like it. just wanna know if
any you guys grow it,

All honeysuckles are in the genus Lonicera, so that doesn't narrow
things down very much!

The common UK native is Lonicera periclymenum, which is a climber with
large fragrant flowers which are creamy yellow with red tips.

But in gardens we grow many different species of Lonicera - for example,
I have Lonicera henryi, which is an evergreen climber with pink flowers;
another evergreen climbing one; L brownii, another deciduous climber
whose flowers are not so fragrant; a shrubby one which flowers in
midwinter; 'fly honeysuckle' which is in flower now; L tartarica 'Hack's
Red' with red flowers; a small leaved one with tiny flowers; and a
couple more later flowering fragrant climbers.

There's another shrubby small flowered species which at one time was
widely used for hedging, though it seems to have fallen out of fashion
somewhat.

--
Kay
Old 16-05-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

K wrote:
There's another shrubby small flowered species which at one time was
widely used for hedging, though it seems to have fallen out of fashion
somewhat.

I've got one of those, the nitida 'poor man's box'. I didn't know where
to put it in my overcrowded garden as it was a present from a neighbour
who left, so I squeezed it at the front between a mallow and a
buddleia. I forgotten about it and this year it was over 2m high and
sticking out from over the fence. So I trimmed it a couple of weeks ago
planning on doing an interesting shape, you know like a dolphin, or a
chicken .... Well, nothing at all like I had planned. I call it
conceptual art, a voluptuous curved bush, tumbling down in a spiral.
Rather different ;o)

Old 22-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Puce
greengrass wrote:
the sienctific name is lonicera x .spp originally from europe eastern
asia and japan which one first? I kind of like it. just wanna know if
any you guys grow it,

Lonicera x .spp, spp is for the species such as periclymenum or
caprifolium or purpusii etc. Mine I don't know as it was given to me.
It's a spring flowering one, sadly and here is a picture of it in
summer (berries) and in spring, now )

http://cjoint.com/?fqlKZyemnB
http://cjoint.com/?fqlO3QydJY
mine doesn't look like that. the blossoms are yellow with white in them.did some reading stilldon't know for sure. either amur's or morrow's honeysuckle. i guess.

Old 22-05-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

greengrass wrote:
snip the sienctific name is lonicera x .spp originally from europe
eastern
asia and japan which one first? I kind of like it. just wanna know if
any you guys grow it,

Try doing an Image search on Lonicera purpusii, L. tatarica, L.
xylosteum and L. involucrata and see if any of those look familiar.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk