Old 16-05-2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default Thinning out seedlings

"dannysmom" wrote in message
ups.com...
I planted cleome last year and they've self-sown nicely, but the little
seedlings are very crowded into a solid mass of green. Should I thin
them? I've never done this before. Would someone give me
instructions, please? Can I put the thinned ones in another part of
the landscape? Thanks very much.

Lorraine

You didn't say how closely the seedlings had grown. Here's the cultural
info: Height 4'. GARDEN HINTS: Grows best in full sun. Space 15-18" apart.

You can move some of the plants, but only if you can get them out of the
ground without damaging their roots, or the roots of the ones you leave
behind. If you can't do that, then just out the extras and compost them.
Beyond this, there's no way to tell you how close is too close for
successful thinning. It's something you have to learn by trying.