Old 16-05-2006, 01:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
dannysmom

Default Thinning out seedlings

I planted cleome last year and they've self-sown nicely, but the little
seedlings are very crowded into a solid mass of green. Should I thin
them? I've never done this before. Would someone give me
instructions, please? Can I put the thinned ones in another part of
the landscape? Thanks very much.

Lorraine

Old 16-05-2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"dannysmom" wrote in message
ups.com...
I planted cleome last year and they've self-sown nicely, but the little
seedlings are very crowded into a solid mass of green. Should I thin
them? I've never done this before. Would someone give me
instructions, please? Can I put the thinned ones in another part of
the landscape? Thanks very much.

Lorraine

You didn't say how closely the seedlings had grown. Here's the cultural
info: Height 4'. GARDEN HINTS: Grows best in full sun. Space 15-18" apart.

You can move some of the plants, but only if you can get them out of the
ground without damaging their roots, or the roots of the ones you leave
behind. If you can't do that, then just out the extras and compost them.
Beyond this, there's no way to tell you how close is too close for
successful thinning. It's something you have to learn by trying.

Old 16-05-2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

dannysmom wrote:

I planted cleome last year and they've self-sown nicely, but the little
seedlings are very crowded into a solid mass of green. Should I thin
them? I've never done this before. Would someone give me
instructions, please? Can I put the thinned ones in another part of
the landscape? Thanks very much.

Lorraine

Lorraine,

Yes, if they are a "solid mass of green" you need to thin them. You can
try to move some of them but be sure to not damage the root system when
you move them. It is a good idea if you transplant some of them to give
them a feeding with a liquid fertilizer (mixed to half strength) when
you move them and every few days after you move them. Cleome do
transplant fairly well but you will likely lose a few so take that into
account when you move them.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 16-05-2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"dannysmom" wrote in message
ups.com...
I planted cleome last year and they've self-sown nicely, but the little
seedlings are very crowded into a solid mass of green. Should I thin
them? I've never done this before. Would someone give me
instructions, please? Can I put the thinned ones in another part of
the landscape? Thanks very much.

I've always been wary of thinning, never dared to try to prick out
seedlings because their roots are so fragile. I know that good
gardening technique requires it, but doesn't nature handle it? Like I
scattered some wildflower seeds pretty thick. I don't feel like trying
to transplant them and just let the race go to the fittest.

Lorraine

Old 20-05-2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
dannysmom

Thank you all for your replies.

Lorraine