Old 16-05-2006, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Landrey

Default Germinating squash seeds

Salmon Egg wrote in
:

Some time ago, I posted asking for advice on how to germinate squash
seeds. I followed the suggestion of soaking the seeds in a solution of
seaweed extract and water. It has been a week, the seeds have swelled
up, but no germination yet.

I looked at a peat pot with some jiffy mix and a seed that has been
sitting around for about month. I have neglected it of late because of
the seeds' refusal to germinate. It was almost dried up. To my surprise,
it germinated. I transferred the pot into my hydroponic grower.

So, do I have to stress the seed with low moisture after soaking? Does
the seed have to be kept above room temperature? What is the secret? I
see squash plants for sale all the time.

I usually just stick them in the ground after the last frost. No special
method. That always works for me.