Old 16-05-2006, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

Default Germinating squash seeds

Some time ago, I posted asking for advice on how to germinate squash seeds.
I followed the suggestion of soaking the seeds in a solution of seaweed
extract and water. It has been a week, the seeds have swelled up, but no
germination yet.

I looked at a peat pot with some jiffy mix and a seed that has been sitting
around for about month. I have neglected it of late because of the seeds'
refusal to germinate. It was almost dried up. To my surprise, it germinated.
I transferred the pot into my hydroponic grower.

So, do I have to stress the seed with low moisture after soaking? Does the
seed have to be kept above room temperature? What is the secret? I see
squash plants for sale all the time.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Old 16-05-2006, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Landrey

Salmon Egg wrote in
:

Some time ago, I posted asking for advice on how to germinate squash
seeds. I followed the suggestion of soaking the seeds in a solution of
seaweed extract and water. It has been a week, the seeds have swelled
up, but no germination yet.

I looked at a peat pot with some jiffy mix and a seed that has been
sitting around for about month. I have neglected it of late because of
the seeds' refusal to germinate. It was almost dried up. To my surprise,
it germinated. I transferred the pot into my hydroponic grower.

So, do I have to stress the seed with low moisture after soaking? Does
the seed have to be kept above room temperature? What is the secret? I
see squash plants for sale all the time.

I usually just stick them in the ground after the last frost. No special
method. That always works for me.
Old 16-05-2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook

On Tue, 16 May 2006 04:34:25 GMT, Salmon Egg
wrote:

Some time ago, I posted asking for advice on how to germinate squash seeds.
I followed the suggestion of soaking the seeds in a solution of seaweed
extract and water. It has been a week, the seeds have swelled up, but no
germination yet.

I looked at a peat pot with some jiffy mix and a seed that has been sitting
around for about month. I have neglected it of late because of the seeds'
refusal to germinate. It was almost dried up. To my surprise, it germinated.
I transferred the pot into my hydroponic grower.

So, do I have to stress the seed with low moisture after soaking? Does the
seed have to be kept above room temperature? What is the secret? I see
squash plants for sale all the time.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

My references say it takes 7 to 10 days for summer squash to
germinate. Longer if it is cool.
--
Susan N.

Old 16-05-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
tenacity

Yeah - mine took about a week in water and in earth..

Yanno - water is water - that's really the biggest on-switch. The seed
has the nutrition it needs to sprout - so extra nutrition wouldn't
nesecarily help until the seed has a root - or the beginning one.

I could be wrong, tho.

Old 17-05-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne

Temperature is a big factor. If the dirt is too cold, they wont sprout, or
will take longer to do it. Watermelons are another one that can be
aggravating. Some of them need 70 F and to be kept moist to do any good.

Dwayne

Old 17-05-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"Landrey" wrote in message
reenews.net...

I usually just stick them in the ground after the last frost. No special
method. That always works for me.

Amen.

Old 17-05-2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

On 5/16/06 5:54 PM, in article ,
"Dwayne" wrote:

Temperature is a big factor. If the dirt is too cold, they wont sprout, or
will take longer to do it. Watermelons are another one that can be
aggravating. Some of them need 70 F and to be kept moist to do any good.

Do you know what will happen if the temperature drops to the low 60 deg F
even though temperature reaches 70F during the day?

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush