Old 16-05-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree (I think) ID please

p.mc wrote:
"K" wrote in message
p.mc writes
"Russel Sprout" wrote in message

"p.mc" wrote in message
Hello
I found this growing behind my Laurel bush about 3yrs ago, so I potted
it
up
and cut the main stem to leave two branches, so it's bushed out a bit.

All advice welcomed...Thankyou

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151411.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151409.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151403.jpg

--

Regards
p.mc

Walnut?

I should also have mentioned location... Merseyside NW England.

Not sure about Walnut though. Thanks for the reply.

No, it's not a walnut.

It's an ash. Fraxinus excelsior. They have a habit of sending up seedling
in or behind other shrubs, which you don't spot until they appear out of
the top.

Grows into a big tree, so don't plant it out unless you have a *really*
big garden.

--
Kay

Wow!! That's really clever... I have an ancient church inc graveyard at the
end of my garden with various trees inside. Do you think I'll find the
mother tree there? Are the seeds carried on the wind or do birds drop them
from a distant source?

I'll try to find a sheltered undisturbed spot to plant it. How long should
it be nursed before planting?

I would just plant it now but that is an uneducated guess.
Use a stake to stop it rocking; a big stake hammered well in and tied
to the tree. Watch the tie as the tree grows so the tree does not get
strangled.
The seeds get carried quite far as they use "wings" to spread. If you
have a mature ash anywehere near, the seeds end up everywhere. It and
sycamores are the commonest tree "weeds" I have had in the last 2
gardens. If you have the room it is a nice weed to encourage though
but as already pointed out, they get big :-).

Thankyou