Old 15-05-2006, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

Default Tree (I think) ID please

Hello
I found this growing behind my Laurel bush about 3yrs ago, so I potted it up
and cut the main stem to leave two branches, so it's bushed out a bit.

All advice welcomed...Thankyou

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151411.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151409.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151403.jpg

--

Regards
p.mc

Old 15-05-2006, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

"Russel Sprout" wrote in message

"p.mc" wrote in message
Hello
I found this growing behind my Laurel bush about 3yrs ago, so I potted it

up
and cut the main stem to leave two branches, so it's bushed out a bit.

All advice welcomed...Thankyou

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151411.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151409.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151403.jpg

--

Regards
p.mc

Walnut?

I should also have mentioned location... Merseyside NW England.

Not sure about Walnut though. Thanks for the reply.

--

Regards
p.mc

Old 15-05-2006, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

p.mc writes

"p.mc" wrote in message
Hello
I found this growing behind my Laurel bush about 3yrs ago, so I potted it

up
and cut the main stem to leave two branches, so it's bushed out a bit.

All advice welcomed...Thankyou

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151411.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151409.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...s/P5151403.jpg

--

Regards
p.mc

Walnut?

I should also have mentioned location... Merseyside NW England.

Not sure about Walnut though. Thanks for the reply.

No, it's not a walnut.

It's an ash. Fraxinus excelsior. They have a habit of sending up
seedling in or behind other shrubs, which you don't spot until they
appear out of the top.

Grows into a big tree, so don't plant it out unless you have a *really*
big garden.

--
Kay

Old 16-05-2006, 01:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

p.mc writes

"p.mc" wrote in message
[...]

Wow!! That's really clever... I have an ancient church inc graveyard at the
end of my garden with various trees inside. Do you think I'll find the
mother tree there? Are the seeds carried on the wind or do birds drop them
from a distant source?

I'll try to find a sheltered undisturbed spot to plant it. How long should
it be nursed before planting?

Thankyou

Old 16-05-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

p.mc wrote:
p.mc writes

"p.mc" wrote in message
[...]

I would just plant it now but that is an uneducated guess.
Use a stake to stop it rocking; a big stake hammered well in and tied
to the tree. Watch the tie as the tree grows so the tree does not get
strangled.
The seeds get carried quite far as they use "wings" to spread. If you
have a mature ash anywehere near, the seeds end up everywhere. It and
sycamores are the commonest tree "weeds" I have had in the last 2
gardens. If you have the room it is a nice weed to encourage though
but as already pointed out, they get big :-).

Thankyou

Old 16-05-2006, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeCT

"p.mc wrote in a message:
Hello
I found this growing behind my Laurel bush about 3yrs ago, so I potted it
up and cut the main stem to leave two branches, so it's bushed out a bit.
All advice welcomed...Thankyou

Regards
p.mc
----

My advice would be to heave it. I had to endure four ash saplings growing
in a neighbour's garden that very quickly grew very, very tall, and when in
leaf, blotted out most of the sunshine from my garden. In the autumn, my
whole garden area was covered in ash keys and fallen leaves.
How I hated those trees!

MCT

Old 16-05-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

p.mc writes
"K" wrote in message

It's an ash. Fraxinus excelsior. They have a habit of sending up seedling
in or behind other shrubs, which you don't spot until they appear out of
the top.

Grows into a big tree, so don't plant it out unless you have a *really*
big garden.

Wow!! That's really clever... I have an ancient church inc graveyard at the
end of my garden with various trees inside. Do you think I'll find the
mother tree there?

Possibly. Distinguishing feature of ash is that the buds are black,
particularly in winter when there are no leaves. They go a bit greener
when they're actively growing.

Are the seeds carried on the wind or do birds drop them
from a distant source?

I would guess wind. The seeds are 'ash keys', dry seeds with 'wings',
rather than berries attractive to birds.

I'll try to find a sheltered undisturbed spot to plant it. How long should
it be nursed before planting?

Yours is well big enough to plant out. But remember this is a forest
sized tree and a fast grower and plant accordingly.
--
Kay
Old 17-05-2006, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

Thanks for the replies, I'll plant it in a forest not too far from my
location.

--

Regards
p.mc