Old 16-05-2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Thinning out seedlings

"dannysmom" wrote in message
ups.com...
I planted cleome last year and they've self-sown nicely, but the little
seedlings are very crowded into a solid mass of green. Should I thin
them? I've never done this before. Would someone give me
instructions, please? Can I put the thinned ones in another part of
the landscape? Thanks very much.

I've always been wary of thinning, never dared to try to prick out
seedlings because their roots are so fragile. I know that good
gardening technique requires it, but doesn't nature handle it? Like I
scattered some wildflower seeds pretty thick. I don't feel like trying
to transplant them and just let the race go to the fittest.

Lorraine